Chapter 8

"There's something I have to talk to you about" Elliot says as we reach the kitchen. "Is something wrong?" I ask as he sounds serious.

"No, nothing wrong.." he replies but pauses as if there's something he wants to add

"You look amazing tonight" This immediately makes me smile as our eyes meet and lock. He's standing in front of me and nerves or butterflies trigger my stomach.

"So do you, you look very nice" I say with a smile

He comes closer and he's chest brushes against mine as the space between us disappears. He softly slides my hair over my ear and stares into my eyes, moving awkwardly closer to me.

What is going on right now? Is he...?

He cups his hands on my face and brings me closer to him for a kiss. We're so close that I feel his breath brushing over my lips. I start to feel my face heating up as this is completely unexpected. Just before his lips touch mine Lucas walks into the kitchen.

"So this is where you two are hiding" he says and has a surprised look on his face

Oh shit! Was I going to let Elliot kiss me? I frown at the thought.

I can't deny how handsome Elliot is, but whatever he's trying to do, is not going to happen. Even though it almost just did.. What he did to me wasn't fair, why would he come back to Canada and play with my feelings in this way?

"Are you two going to spend the night here in the kitchen or would you like to come do some shots?" Lucas asks as he stares into my eyes then moving his eyes over to Elliot. Elliot is sarcastically smiling at Lucas but before anyone starts anything, I confirm "I would love a shot" and I leave the kitchen. I can hear them whisper something when I leave the kitchen but I feel more relieved to get away from the awkward behavior that I just continue walking away from them.

Lizzie is hastily walks towards me when I return and asks:

"Where have you been, they are having shots and It's a lot of fun, even El is joining in.."

Lucas joins us and we all take a shot together. I don't see Elliot, but I think to myself whatever they had going on in the kitchen, they need to sort between themselves. Clearly the two don't get along that well.. If the situation becomes more awkward, I'm calling it a night.

The music is great and some couples start dancing. Someone walked over and asked El for a dance and she accepted, she seems to enjoy herself tonight. Lizzie is standing around, chatting to strangers and just when I thought of taking a walk outside to get some fresh air, Lucas asks:

"Would you care to dance with me?"

He is such a gentleman and when he looks into my eyes like that, I can't say no to him. He has this intense way of looking at me.. With a smirk.. But so sexy.. He is undeniably attractive.

".. I would love to.." I say and he takes my hand that leads us to join the rest of the crowd for a slow dance.

Being this close to someone this attractive makes my head spin. Lucas starts talking about the first time he saw me jog and also our bump-in meeting at Varsity. He is clearly flirting with me, I guess I can see the way he looks at me.. talks to me.. Everything about him says he's interested. Are the two fighting over me? Elliot trying to kiss me in the kitchen and Lucas flirting with me?..

We giggle as I confirm how shocked I was when Elliot invited me and when I realized he was the new neighbor.

"It's a great neighborhood and the house is perfect for me" he continues

"This house is too big for a single person living here alone" I say too quickly.

"Who says I'm single..." he snaps quickly but starts to laugh after a slight pause.

"I'm kidding! I know what you mean by that.. I'm just teasing you.. but just in case you are wondering I am single" he confirms with a beautiful smile. As we dance the two of us talk and Elliot's name pops up.

When I mention Elliot, Lucas becomes uncomfortable and changes the subject immediately. Picking up on this I ask him..

"Is there rivalry going on between you and Elliot if I may ask? We just met tonight, but I've known Elliot for years and something strange between you two is going on"

Lucas starts laughing and just shakes his head

Finally he says " No rivalry going on.. We... we just understand each other in a very strange way.."

Confused by his answer, I frown but before I could add something, the song ends.

"Thanks for the dance" he says with a smile again.

"It was nice, thank you" I say back with a smile.

My eyes spot the time on the clock, it's almost midnight!

I see Elliot across the room talking to a tall, attractive, middle aged woman. I did not see her earlier when we were introduced to everyone. Did she perhaps join later?

El walks towards me "I think it's time to go home darling, I've had enough for one night"

I agree and some other guests also leave the party shortly after we started saying goodbye.

I want to greet Elliot, but the conversation between him and the woman seems serious so I decide against it and just move to the direction of the door.

I meet Lucas outside as we leave the house and we all say goodbye to him and thanking him for the wonderful night.

"I hope I see you again soon Lillie" he smiles. Oh that smile is just gorgeous.

"Me too" I smile back at him

Just before we get in our car to drive home the tall woman that was talking to Elliot rushes over to El and shouts,

"Ella!!... Ella-Roy!!" El's concerned face looks to her direction and suddenly her pink cheeks turn white.

"Are you seriously going to pretend that you don't know me?? Your own sister??"

Sister?? It looks like El can pass out from shock. Sister- like-her-real-Blood-sister???

٭٭٭٭٭٭