Chapter 4: Hammer To Fall

👑

👑

Youngho wasn't sure what to expect while blindly following Yebin on this quest of hers. He was still as clueless when they reached their destination. As they hopped out of the cab, they did, indeed, arrive to an elementary school.

For this late at night, of course it was near to deserted, with just a few passerby's on the sidewalks.

However, from the school grounds, there was the sound of rapid footsteps that caught both Youngho and Yebin's attention.

"Noona!" A small boy with messy, black hair was bolting over to where they stood. Yebin barely had enough time to move before the boy wrapped his arms around her torso, squeezing her like his life depended on it.

Actually, on second thought, with a kid this young alone at this time? It probably was.

"Aish, Sian, why on earth are you this late at school again, huh?" Yebin questioned the boy in a stern yet soft tone, her hand petting his head affectionately. "Where's your eomma? Appa late at work again right?"

The child merely nodded. "He is but him and eomma fought again so I didn't want to go home. They think I'm playing with my friends..."

At this, Yebin crouched down so to be eye level with this Sian. Her eyes narrowed. "You are much too young to be doing stunts like this, Sian. They would find out sooner or later that you lied to them. And you shouldn't be lying."

"But..."

"You shouldn't follow my example."

"Noona..." The boy looked close to crying. Yebin wrapped her arms around his body and gave him a small hug. "Noona, I miss you."

"I know. I'm sorry. But you know how it is."

Sian looked at Yebin with big, tearful eyes. "Can't you visit more often? I always feel better whenever you were around and eomma and appa are fighting."

"You know how most of those fights happened because I was there. My presence will only upset your mother, Sian."

"Appa misses you too though," Sian murmured, his tone lower than before.

"Well, sometimes, life is like that, Sian. Even if we miss people, sometimes it's best not to meet them. Do you understand me?"

"Yes..." It was then Sian seemed to have realized the unfamiliar presence. His eyes were sharp and calculative, glued on Youngho's tall stature. "Who is this ahjussi?"

Yebin stifled a laugh, just as she managed to catch Youngho's hurt face.

"Ah-Ahjussi?" The man sputtered out, glimpsing over to Yebin for some kind of backup. Clearly, he was taken aback by the kid's brashness.

Yebin stood back up, her hand on Sian's shoulders. "Sian, he's not an ahjussi. He's the same age as me," she replied.

"Is he your boyfriend?"