Chapter 10: A Kind of Magic

👑

👑

"Park Sian!"

She swore, Park Yebin never seemed to catch a break from this hectic, messed-up life. Now, what lies ahead of her, she wasn't sure what to expect.

She hurried into the neighborhood park that her younger brother told her he would be waiting at. A shot of worry struck through her as she approached him with wide strides. The text message had told her that he would be waiting for her by the swing set since 2 hours ago.

Despite her internal anger, the boy peered up at her and gave her the brightest smile, happy to see his older sister before him.

"You're here, noona!"

"Park Sian, what kind of stunt are you trying to pull this time?" Yebin huffed out, kneeling down so she could be somewhat of eye level to him. "You're supposed to be at school!" Sian's expression turned sour, tugging at the older girl's heart. She pinched the bridge of her nose. Yebin knew this wasn't the time to be nagging at her brother.

Sian wouldn't do something so drastic out of the blue without any good reason. He was much wiser than that. How could she stay mad at him when he has been out at this park waiting because she failed to see the message earlier.

In a softer tone, she asked him, "What is it? Did something happen at home?"

He shook his head as he innocently kicked his legs under the swing. Sian didn't meet her eyes. "No, nothing happened."

"Are you sure?" Yebin pressed on, her hand grasping onto his arm. His doe eyes held so much sadness, that it sparked anger within the girl. Something definitely did happen at the house with his parents. She slowly breathed out her nose, trying to calm herself in the moment. "Sian."

"Noona, what was your eomma like?"

The question took a complete opposite turn. Yebin took this time to move over to the empty swing next to Sian's, sitting in it as her mind ran wild with the memories of her mother. She bit down on her lip. She resented her mother for fleeing to America after the divorce. And goodness, Yebin had wished over and over to have been brought with her rather than staying in the hellhole that was that old house with her father.

But... her mother abandoned her.

Left Yebin to deal with her asshole father and bitch of an stepmom.

And even though it fills her with so much rage and melancholy to remember how her mother just forgot all about her, Yebin's life with her mom, when they were still altogether, were happy ones.

So, does Yebin fully hate her?

She doesn't know. Now that she thinks about it, she doesn't think so. Her mother only did what she thought was best for herself.

And honestly, how could Yebin blame her mother when she did the exact same thing by getting out of that horrid house.

"My mother was... like the ocean, Sian," Yebin started, her eyes trained up to the skies. "She was calm and gentle, like how the water licks at the sand on a nice sunny day. But she is strong, she was outgoing, like tumbling waves. She went with the flow, and made sure it always worked out for her. She was a stunning woman too. Her eyes turn into, like, crescent moons when she smiled so brightly."