Chapter 12: You're My Best Friend

👑

👑

It has been an uncomfortable couple days.

Even though Hanui had come to her aid that night, kicking out Hojun for her sake, Yebin knew the damage it caused.

Every time Yebin saw a glimpse of her friend, she noticed the slumped shoulders, the darkened eyes. It hurts. It hurts that their once-unbreakable trio had shattered into pieces with no way to repair. Yebin knew this would be the case once she scrounged up the courage to do so, but she never wanted it to conclude like this. Hanui's bond with Hojun was like no other. They relied on one another despite how separate they tried to keep their lives.

Hanui always looked up to Hojun.

Yebin broke that perception of hers, just as she broke her own.

And she knew that Hanui have been avoiding her. She knew she was just a reminder of it all.

Yebin knew what she had to do next.

She has to get away herself. Give space to everyone who needs it because they will only hurt each other by sticking around.

Wednesday night, she managed to catch Hanui before she left for a dinner with her college mates. Hanui was dolled up as usual, a cute baby blue dress under her black buttoned jacket, but she had that melancholic look in her eyes. Her usual spunk and sparkle had gone... probably just like how Yebin was before.

"Hanui..."

"Yes, Yebin?" The long-haired lass uttered in a low tone, looking at her curiously.

"I'm going to fly to America."

Finally, a new expression crossed Hanui's face. Pure shock. With a tilt of her head, she asked her in a somewhat annoyed voice, "What now? Are you trying to follow Youngho there or what?"

Yebin pursed her lips.

Hanui chose her over her brother, but it didn't excuse her own actions. She heard that Yebin liked Youngho. Of course she'd be upset with her over that too.

"N-No... because I found out where my mother lives."

Before Hanui could spew out more bullets of questions, Yebin told her about how she had discovered her mother's letters at her old house that day. As to not let Sian get in trouble, she left the letters where she had found them, but she managed to take a picture of each and every letter her mother had sent to her after all these years. She showed them to Hanui and explained how her mother had been trying to send her these for the past years. That she still cared.

"So, your father had been blocking you from these?"

"That's right," Yebin nodded. "He probably wanted to paint her as the bad guy, but I don't know why. So, I need to go find my mother and talk to her. Her address is right on the envelopes. She lives in New York. There's no reason why I shouldn't go to her." Yebin dropped her gaze. "Besides, I know how everything is so fucked up right now. I don't want you to end up hating me, so I think it'll be good to have time apart."