Chapter 15: Play the Game

👑

👑

Park Yebin stared at herself on the body mirror of Delilah's bedroom. She wore something that was on the brink of going out of her comfort zone... a dress.

Today was the day.

She finally scrounged up the courage to meet her mother after the couple days she had been in New York.

Honestly, the dress wasn't even hers, it belonged to Hanui. Just before she had left on her risky trip, Hanui had drilled into her brain that she should dress up when meeting her mother. It was a special occasion after all, so she should look pretty for her. Yebin couldn't even argue, as Hanui shoved the black floral dress into her luggage.

Here she was, wearing the dress she borrowed from her. The dress reached to her mid-thigh, had a pattern of colorful flowers all over, and some frilly sleeves. Her hair was just let down free, and had the outfit completed with black boots.

And... she did think she looked pretty.

"Wow, Yebin, you look absolutely killer!" Delilah proclaimed as she leaned against the doorframe, a thumbs up in her direction. She spun her car keys on her finger as she gestured towards the front door. "You ready to go?" With one last look of her appearance on the mirror, she nodded, walking over to Delilah's side. "You feeling okay?"

"To be honest, no."

For the past two days, it really had been a healing time to just travel around to New York's greatest attractions and hang with Delilah and her friends. She felt lighter on her feet, a skip to her step. The Narcotics have been nothing but good to her and made her feel like she had been their friend for years. And after such good times, Yebin knew she couldn't wait on this chance any longer.

She had her fun.

It was time to suck it up and meet her mother.

"But, I've spent enough days procrastinating on it," Yebin murmured out. "I came here for that main reason, right?"

Delilah smiled. "That's right."

From the address Yebin got from the letters, the drive took them about 40 minutes with traffic.

Throughout the car ride, Yebin has been a mess. Her insides twisted, her heart felt like it was being punched over and over with anxiety. She was so nervous about seeing her mother after all these years. Yebin told herself over and over that her mother wanted to see her too. The letters were evidence enough to tell her that. Her mother had kept up with sending her letters for 15 years!

And she should finally return the favor.

The address took them to an apartment building just outside of downtown. Time had really worn down the tall, brick establishment, and Yebin looked upon it with sadness. Was this where her mother had stayed in for all these years? This was the safe place after running away from her ex-husband?