CHAPTER 9: I was a curious and love-deprived 6-year-old

Family. What was really family? Your blood relatives? Or the people who made your life worth living for?

As a child, I had a missing birth giver and a work-induced stressed sperm donor. Three boys who only cared about video games and the pretty redhead next door.

So, you may ask, what did little Summer Jones do?

I did one thing that most adults hate kids for nowadays.

Ask questions. Lots of them.

Ignored by my three horny brothers, I turned to dad – my only hope that time. I kept on asking him who is this woman they call a mother. Why did everyone in my class keep talking about her? Why did they draw her always and write good things about her?

Where was mine then?

And I remember that day as clear as day; the way my father reacted. He sighed and looked down at our paint-stained floor – courtesy of me – and then looked into my eyes, the exact same he had – a beautiful ocean blue, always raging yet seeming calm. He pressed his lips together and rubbed his forehead with his sweaty hands. His cheeks glistened in the light of the warm moonlight that poured through his study room window. And he said something that would probably stay with me for the rest of my life.

You had a mother, darling. She...just left us.

Why, daddy?

Because she didn't feel... family.

I asked my dad a question which was heartbreaking and tedious for him.

Sue me.

I was a curious and love-deprived 6-year-old.

Feeling family was still a foreign feeling for me and yes I do love my brothers, but there was still something incomplete in my life. I still had to figure out that 'something'.

Well, that day was certainly not today since... drumroll... it was a Friday. And what did I do on Fridays?

For starters, I would annoy Maddie to the core, singing and celebrating the coming of the weekend and then I would attend my favorite class – English Literature. That was one class where I had my peace of mind where all I would do is get lost in the literary world and get an in-depth analysis of fictional characters.

Then I would attend the rest of my boring classes – Math (put that in bold since I basically had a grudge against it) and Psychology where I wouldn't get a chance to miss the famous snoring of Mr. Brooks.

Rightly guessed – Ms. Brooks' elder brother.

Ah, they say it right. Kin is always alike. That grumpy duo is not one to mess with.

And then I would end up playing soccer in the park alone, watching the sunset and the busy lives of different people, finally ending the day by binge-watching series till 4 in the morning.

What a busy day, huh?

Unfortunately, things never really went as Summer wished. When do they ever?

They say when you really want something, the entire universe aspires and helps you to reach your supposed goal.

But no.

The universe only conspired against me and its forces always did the opposite of what I wanted. Today's day turned out to be something reflecting that.

I walk to my literature class, the heaviness of the Pride and Prejudice book taunting me for not doing the assignment we were given. Was it my fault that Damon and Stefan were more appealing to me than doing some question I already knew the answer to?