CHAPTER 36: What kind of creature are you?

"This is all your fault!" I yell at Caleb.

"How is it my fault?!"

"If you didn't come running to the washroom and creating a scene then we wouldn't have been fucking stuck here."

"You went to the washroom first!"

"Did I tell you to fucking follow me, Caleb? Did I? Did I?!" By now, we were nose to nose, breathing heavily at the loudest argument we just had over all this time. I won't be surprised if the people outside hear us and break us out.

Although that is a fairly good idea.

"I didn't follow you, damn it. Now stop cursing and help me find a way to get out of this mess."

"What problem do you have with my cursing?" I mumble to myself as I see him strolling towards the counter and hopping to the other side. I resist the urge to wolf whistle at the sight of his muscles flexing as he jumps and dusts the imaginary dust off his t-shirt.

What a show-off.

"What did you say?" I widen my eyes as I realize that I again thought out loud and I mentally smack myself at how my brain forgets the word 'think' and 'common sense' as soon as it sees Caleb.

"Nothing!" I shoot back and take a few steps towards the counter.

"Stop talking to yourself and put your brains to some use so we can get out of here fast." His snappy voice infuriates me and I jump to the other side angrily, landing on my feet rather loudly. My ankles slightly hurt but I don't even flinch a little as Caleb's eyes notice my edgy behavior.

"Fine. If getting stuck with me is that annoying for you then let's get to work." I monotonously say without looking at him, my mind dragging me back to our washroom incident.

Forget about him and those stupid little feelings, Summer. He's no good for you.

"I didn't mean-

"Hello! Is anybody here?" I ignore Caleb's words and continue shouting for someone, a slight hope emerging as I see a light on the kitchen floor coming from the corner.

The kitchen has all kinds of machines – very big ice cream machines – and one gigantic shelf with endless toppings for ice creams. Two huge freezers stand majestically on my left side, reflecting the slight moonlight streaming through a small window at the upper front.

I walk towards the ray of light, hoping that maybe one of the workers might be cleaning up after closing down. To my disappointment, the door to another section of the kitchen is slightly ajar with the light left on. I sigh and turn back, walking past Caleb as if he's just not there. I jump back to the other side and lean on one of the booths, my face peeking through the window for any sign of a person. Surprisingly and unfortunately, there isn't a single soul in sight.

"My little sister's alone at home. She's expecting me to come early so I can spend some time with her and tell her all about the game." His low and concerned voice breaks my thoughts and I slightly shift towards him, eyeing his face to know whether he's telling the truth or not.

"You have a sister?"

"She's 6."

I turn away and softly smile at his thought of concern for his sister, at the same time also slapping myself for smiling at Caleb.

"Sorry. I overreacted." I mutter, hating that I have to apologize. One thing you probably know about me. Whatever the case may be, I always hate apologizing and that's why it is always hard to win an argument against me. I'm always hell-bent on winning it so I don't have to accept defeat and apologize.