CHAPTER 38: We probably devoured half of your damn supply

I never really pictured getting caught by the police for something I could have done that too, alongside none other than Caleb Anderson. Sure, I partly knew that my recklessness and my oh-so-special talent of not giving a fuck about anything will get me in trouble one day but...not to this extent at least.

Three policemen and an angry old man squinted their eyes at us. It was like participating in a reality show only that the cameras here were actually human beings who, by the look on their faces, didn't look so pleased with us.

"Officer, I think there has been a misunderstanding here." I look at Caleb speaking calmly with his hands up. Really? He thinks he can get us out of here with his charm?

"What kind, boy?! You two teens are obviously here to loot my dear old shop. What has the world come to? You don't even leave the aged!" The salt-and-pepper haired man cried out, his hands pointing to the mess we created while eating our ice creams.

"Could you please give us an opportunity to explain ourselves?" I ask politely and one of the policemen nod, lowering their gun. I sigh and start off rambling on about the night's events.

"We actually got stuck here when the shop was being closed. Uh...we were in the washroom. Separately, might I add." I stress on the words and despite the grimness of the situation, a smirk grows on Caleb's face.

"I'm really sorry for the loss you incurred uh...because of us. I promise we'll pay for the ice creams we ate. I hope you can understand that. But we didn't break in to rob your place, sir. This guy did." I move aside and point towards the unconscious man behind the counter.

"We knocked him down when we heard him sneaking in and that's when you came in." I sheepishly say, feeling weird having to truthfully narrate everything in front of the police.

The three men arrive at our side, dragging the man with them to their police car. Caleb and I awkwardly stood near the booths as the men spoke to the old owner of the shop who looked so miserable and sleepy. After their short conversation, the man walks towards us with a slight smile on his face.

"Thank you, kids. You have no idea how much it means to me that you attempted to save my business here. And I'm sorry for shouting earlier-

"Don't apologize. Please. This is the least we could have done after almost gobbling up your delicious ice cream." An awkward laugh escapes at my lame joke but nevertheless, the old man's eyes sparkle with happiness.

"You like my ice cream? That is just splendid!" Caleb and I both nod in excitement as he gushes over the compliments I just offered him.

Of course, we like it. We probably devoured half of your damn supply.

"Say, would you be willing to work here? We are so short on staff here and it would be such a good way to thank you for apprehending that foolish robber."

My eyes widen at the prospect of finally having a job, the thoughts of the past few stressful days dawning upon me. This could finally bring up our financial crisis and we wouldn't have to sacrifice anything. Jason guys will be so happy to hear this. A nudge on my shoulder brings me back to the present situation and I almost faint at the next words that come out of Caleb's mouth.

"I'm sure she would love that." His right hand engulfs my shoulder and I almost shudder at the warmth that trickles down my arm after that.

"Thank you...sir. This means a lot. Don't I need to give an interview or something?"

"Nonsense! Consider yourself hired. You can begin anytime you like!" He smiles down at me and I excitedly shake his hand.

I finally got a job.