CHAPTER 32: Mint is my favorite

My happiness knew no bounds as soon as I calmed down from the adrenaline shooting up in my body from the big win our team scored. It was my official first game and we won it. The pride swelling in me, I could feel, is literally a reflection of my dad's pride if he were here. I run to the side of the bleachers, skipping out on all the congratulations from the other teammates and coach as well. A grinning Maddie bounces on the bench as her popcorn flies over and hits the nearby spectators. But no, she doesn't really give a damn about the hot glares she's receiving. Instead, she lands on the ground and practically pounces on me, all the while chanting encouraging words in my ears.

More like screaming.

I'm sure Scream Queens are much quieter than her.

"Okay, okay, Mads, I know we won. Don't make me deaf."

"Your goal was hands down amazeballs!"

"What the fuck is-

"People cheered so much for you! I swear I even heard the opposite team's spectators cheer for you." I roll my eyes at her exaggeration and pat her head.

"Calm down, miss crazy. You're even more excited than me. But I can't even thank you for this much support." I smile at her, truly meaning what I just said. Maddie has always been there for me and I would legit sacrifice anything to be there for her too. An unbreakable bond, we do have, it's like I find a person who's more than just a best friend for me.

"You're welcome, Summer! Wanna go celebrate?" She hops on one leg simultaneously and excitedly.

"Sure. Anything to escape the get-together these boys have arranged. Apparently, they planned a small party if we win. I know how small their parties are." I huff and take my Adidas bag which Maddie picked up for me from the locker room.

Speaking of, I slightly turn my head to see Caleb but I spot him talking to someone.

"I mean if that's important, you can go for that and then we can celebrate once you're home." I nod absentmindedly as Maddie talks, still trying my best to see who the hell Caleb was talking to.

All hell breaks loose in my mind as the wolf emerges behind Caleb and waves at him while batting her eyelashes at him.

That fucking whore.

I look at Maddie with a tightened jaw, anger burning through my chest viciously. I thought Caleb had nothing to do with her anymore.

And I also thought that those two being together had no effect on me.

Clearly, I was more than wrong. I don't want to admit to jealousy but fire does creep up on me as I picture the two together and conjure up moronic scenarios about what they could be talking about a few seconds ago.

A tap on my shoulder breaks my bizarre chain of thoughts and I turn around, my eyes meeting a pair of unfamiliar eyes. He smiles at me and I immediately cross my arms on my chest.

"Good game there, fighter girl."

"You too, captain," I stress on that word a tad too much and he visibly tenses a little. He ruffles his hair before sighing.

"Sorry about the little hallway incident. I was just shocked to see a beautiful...I mean, I was just surprised to finally see the girl every team in the state has been talking about that is rumored to be playing in the tournament."

I ignore the faint tinge creeping up on my cheeks and stare at him with a stoic expression. Out of the corner of my eyes, I see Caleb staring right here.

Bull's eye.

I suddenly become all smiley and shake my head at the boy, whose name I hadn't yet known.