CHAPTER 30: Alcohol is always a fucking ethical bribe

I couldn't wait for classes to end so I could run off to the field for practice and release all my pent up anger there. Might as well kick some balls.

Double meaning this time? Absolutely fucking yes.

Ever since I practically dissed the shit out of Caleb, the glares he's been throwing around me were so noticeable that even teachers were beginning to ask whether we had a 'couples' fight'.

Ugh. Who would explain to them what a jerk he's been?

Something crawls in my chest as I reminisce how we both fought on the lakeside but I push it off, shaking my head as I try to focus on the poem we are currently working on in Literature class. As you can guess, Caleb didn't just attend class. He's probably busy with his bitch girlfriend who's made it her mission to ruin my existence. Or, he's just ignoring me after my stupid rant about not seeing him anymore.

A loud ring lifts the dread off my chest and I quickly wobble out of the class, pushing everyone out of the way and ignoring Ms. Grey's calling. Striding fast, I make it to the locker room in time for soccer practice. After putting on my jersey and cleats, I saunter out as if I'm not boiling with anger from within.

It was hot, you could say. The blue skies and the exceedingly green grass with the crisp white lines calm me a little as I think of making the most out of this day. I would forget all about everything that's been happening for the past few days and focus on my passion and maybe sweat like a fucking pig.

"Gather up!" Coach calls and everyone comes together, surrounding him. I walk slowly so that I would get to stand behind the crowd since I know the "star players" of the team will be standing next to the coach. That included the JERK.

"Before we break for practice, I need to remind you of the upcoming game with Silver Crown high school next week so you technically only have 4 days to prepare. It's the first game of the season and I still want us to win it. Most of us have already faced Silver Crown boys last year," His eyes fall on me as he speaks and I frown and look down, "and you know their strategies and skills. So, let's practice hard, yeah?" The boys holler and bump their fists before moving apart and dividing themselves into two teams.

"Summer?"

God, no.

"Yeah?" I muster my sweetest voice and cringe internally, already hating the lecture-look coach is giving me.

"This is your first game as you know. Being the first-ever girl to be recruited in a boys' soccer team is not something that people expect high school girls to do. These boys play rough. Nothing like you've ever seen. I want you to be careful but if you don't want to...I mean...you could skip the game..."

I glare at him and speak up, "Coach, I joined this team because I love playing soccer. You selected me in this team because you know I'm good. A group of bulky, rough boys isn't gonna shoo me away for your information. I can and will absolutely play this game. With a blast."

With that, I march toward a random team and start running. Why the fuck does everyone underestimate me so much nowadays? Do I look weak enough to not handle myself? I've lived independently for a while now and I'm not going to let anyone or anything hold me down. I grunt and kick the approaching soccer ball, hitting the back of the net successfully. I ignore some of the boys' cheering and focus on the ball I'm dribbling.

The coach had no right to tell me I should skip the game just because I'm a fucking girl. Caleb had no right to tell me I do things the way he says. Veronica had no right to tell me I'm weak. I'm not listening to any shit head who tells me what to do. I spot a pair of cleats running my way and I grunt and push off the person before running with the ball once again.