CHAPTER 18: This is no time for Harry Potter references

Decisions taken impact our lives in different ways. There are way too many reasons and believed instincts upon which we base our decisions on. Taking them out of anger or spite, taking them after consideration or simply taking them in the moment. Of course, there are consequences born from those decisions – could be good or bad.

Taking the decision to attend Vicious Veronica's party – I know, the lame attempt of me trying to sound all revenge-y – was a regrettable decision I took. It was merely in the moment. And there was no question as of whether the consequences will be positive or negative. It involves me and Veronica, come on. The answer is crystal clear.

I put on my dark wash jeans and a plain black tee, tying it on my waistline due to its length. My hair was currently sitting as a messy bun on my head and my on-the-go white converse adore my not so poised feet.

I return Maddie's glare with a smile, knowing well what she was playing at.

"I'm not playing dress up with you, Maddie."

"But why?!" She cries as she holds up her hair straightener and some weird makeup brush in her hand. Yes, they were hers. You wouldn't find anything girly in my room. All my room had was a closet, a bed, some posters around the wall and a bean bag near the window that overlooked California's other apartments.

"Because. No interest as I stated before." I roll my eyes, opening my closet to look for a new scrunchie considering mine fell off the balcony due to Aaron.

Don't ask because I have no idea.

"At least for the party. You never ever dress up-

"Exactly." I turn to her and raise my eyebrow.

"So dress up now. It will be the final time I'm asking you this." She moves around with the two items in her hands, as I push her away trying to look for a scrunchie.

"You've been saying that for the past few years!"

"That's because you never say yes!"

I huff and look at her, "Maddie, look. Why don't you dress up, honey? We only have like fifteen minutes before we leave. Don't you want to dress up for Aaron?" Bitch move, I know. I shouldn't be creating hopes for her but this is the only way she'll get out of my hair. Besides, I know that deep down Maddie knows Aaron will never be into her. She deserves way more than him and I'll make sure I'll kick Aaron's ass for leading her on.

Maddie started crushing on Aaron ever since high school started. First day at a party when he supposedly winked at her and offered her a drink, peppering her with compliments and gossips. She lost her heart to him then and there.

That bastard.

My countless attempts at getting Maddie out of her dream bubble always backfired on me when she always asked me to set him up with her. I had no interest in doing that – Maddie doesn't deserve a guy like Aaron who played girls.

"Really? You think he'll notice me?" She gushes as she quickly takes the dress that was lying on my bed.

"Uh...not sure, Maddie. I'm just saying, you do want to impress him, don't you?" I hesitate, knowing well that the night won't end happily if she dresses up but finds Aaron in some bimbo's arms.

"Of course, yes! I'll be out in a minute!" She rushes off to the bathroom, with her dress in her hand and all her accessories in the other. I sigh and take the hair tie hanging in my closet before tying my messy blonde hair in a low ponytail. I take a look at myself in the mirror, knowing I don't do this often. My white converse had some stains – ones that I couldn't wipe away easily. I continue looking at them until someone nudges me. I quickly look up and see Maddie in a floral dress, her brown hair in light curls and her face was adored by the light makeup she'd put on.