CHAPTER 24: My lips are sealed. Can I open them?

If we wished, we would all take back several moments, words and decisions that spewed out of our mouths hastily. But, they stand, a decision, nonetheless. I would happily take back that wretched moment I decided to play the stupid spin the bottle game and ended up being embarrassed as bitchy Veronica pulled me off her "boyfriend" Harry, whom I was about to kiss.

What did I eat that day that made my brain wheels to manufacture that irrational decision?

In my case, my stars don't have my interests and well-being at their core. They probably detest me for all that I've said and done all through my life – the first one being abusing the fact that I'm a girl. Yet, that thought doesn't alter considering right now, my wide apart legs are the ones that occupied all the leg space in the car. To which I could hear the constant complains of Maddie ringing through my agonized ears.

I do reckon I sit like a boy. A very, very indolent boy.

The sight of Caleb and Veronica together churns the remaining bits of mashed apple within my stomach – I can't stomach it – and my mind isn't helpful either by constantly pushing forward scary thoughts. Veronica's viciousness still exists toward me and I am number one on her hit list, no doubt.

The realization that she may potentially ruin the whole trip knowing I'll be there embeds an uneasiness in my mind and I can't help but dread the fact that Jason and Aaron might get to know about the huge scene Veronica created during her party just because she was insecure of her stupid boyfriend. And angry is just an understatement for what they'll feel after knowing I hid it from them. I mean, I'm grateful for their overprotectiveness but sometimes...it's a tad too much.

Speaking of the boyfriend, I deduce Caleb was merely lying to me about cutting his so-called suffocating relationship. I can't believe for a moment I even considered reciprocating the offer he handed in. I actually thought of becoming friends with him. Well, I'm back at square one – detesting Caleb. All because of Veronica.

I know, I know. I won't forget the nice things he did like worrying about that Coleman guy who misbehaved with me, telling me about Veronica's plan, walking me home. Twice.

Yeah, he did well on his part but, he still lied to me about Veronica. And for all I know, what if he's just duping me into his plan with Veronica?

What if they've both been playing me along all this time?

That could be a huge possibility.

Think about it. Caleb and I never had a proper first meeting – we legit fought like kids. And we've been hating each other ever since. Then all of a sudden, here he is in front of me suddenly apologizing and revealing his girlfriend's plan to me.

It's not that I'm jealous. Ugh. No. Never. She can keep Caleb for as long as she pleases and he can keep dancing to her tunes as long as he likes but I'm not going to be the scapegoat in between. Nuh-uh.

I sigh in frustration at all the thoughts running in my mind and I feel Maddie's hand on mine. She smiles at me and closes her eyes for a second, assuring me that everything will be fine. Even though I return her smile, I'm still anxious on the next two days about to be spent here. And two nights as well.

Goodness, gracious. What if Veronica decides to kill me in my sleep? She's going to have full access to my goddamn tent over there! I better get a tent 100 feet away from her if I wish to live, even if I know it's not possible.

The car ride takes about forty-five minutes before a foresty area comes into view. We pass a sign that reads Cornelley's Camp before entering that forest. Or whatever it is. The air is cool and the breeze is quite strong. My hair flies in all directions and I regret untying my messy bun back home. I close my eyes, relishing the serene atmosphere before I step foot on that camp where Veronica could basically finish me off.