CHAPTER 16: Tough and feisty

Uh...what?

"What do you have against my fucking nose?!" I hear a familiar voice shout and it doesn't even take me 2 seconds to recognize the jerk I've come to hate to.

"Caleb?" I manage to let out since right now, shock was the only emotion I could feel.

"None other. Ugh!" He continues nursing his nose, which I'm sure I would break completely one day or the other if we go at this pace. My hands nervously fidget at the thought of his anger and being alone in a dark alleyway didn't help my nervousness get any better. To be honest, it's even scarier.

After a while of awkward silence enveloping the cold air around us mixed with a few groans coming from Caleb here and then, he finally takes off his hood and I could see the outline of his jaw despite the dark.

Damn that jawline.

No. No. No. Summer, no. Garbage lorry. Only a garbage lorry.

"Um...is your nose...uh...okay?" Of course, my awkward being never leaves me. Way to go, Summer.

He keeps quiet for a while and I look up at him, ready to give him another one of my punches if he opens his mouth to blab out shit like he always does.

"You know, for a girl, you sure do have strong punches." Calmness can be detected in his voice so for now, I unclench my fist which was ready to talk to his face again.

"Don't think I can't do it again. I wouldn't hesitate." I turn around, my back facing him as I speak.

"Any excuse to touch my-

As quick as I could, I uncontrollably turn and shove him on the same wall he pushed me against. My hands hold the neck of his hoodie and I was almost nose to nose with him. Short breaths come out from my mouth as I try to control my anger and my toes try to balance as I was tiptoeing in order to reach his height.

"Don't give me that bullshit again," I say in a calm yet angry voice. He doesn't say anything but I do notice his eyes squinting. A habit I've spotted him do like a hundred times whenever he's trying to analyze something.

I realize the position I was holding Caleb in. I was still using his shoulders as support considering how tall I had to be in order to be on eye level with him. Our breaths were rapidly mingling with each other and I was basically leaning on him as he was against the wall. I quickly move back, turning and looking around everywhere but him.

Yeah, I was definitely born in the Land of Awkwardness.

Without even turning back once, I start walking out of the alley. To my dismay, I hear Caleb's footsteps right behind me. I try walking even faster but in the end, he catches up to me and we now walk beside each other.

"Really? Speed-walking? What are we? 10?" I sense humor in his tone and I'm surprised considering I just cornered him in that alleyway. I close my eyes, trying to calm myself down. I wasn't angry neither was I tired of all the fast walking. Then why the hell was my heart beating at such an abnormal rate?

I continue ignoring him with the hope that he would give up and leave me alone. But no. Caleb Anderson never had the intention of giving up.

"I'm trying to have a serious conversation with you."

"And I'm trying to subtly avoid it."

Before I take my next step, I'm pulled back as Caleb held my hand. I look at my tiny wrist held in his huge palm and I look up at him. His eyes. Oh, his eyes.

Focus, Summer.

They spoke volumes to... me. I don't know what. I don't know why. He looks down at my hand and leaves it slowly.