CHAPTER 17: I need to get her anti-Calexcitement pills

"Maddie."

"Maddieeeeee..."

"Madison..."

"MY SWEET LITTLE MADDIE..."

"WHAT?!"

I chuckle as she angrily turns and sighs.

"Talk to me." I plead and sigh, thinking of the past half an hour spent on trying to pacifying her.

"We'll talk when you want to talk, Summer." She huffs and turns back to her locker as she puts in her sport shoes. I take off my cleats and open my water bottle to take a sip after the long practice coach made us go through.

"I am talking, Maddie."

"Doesn't seem like it considering the recent antics you've been up to. Care to see the missed calls on your damn phone?" I think back to yesterday when I walked off angrily out of class and hid in the library the entire day from Maddie and anyone else. Even after Caleb walked me home, I went to my room thinking I would take a nap. Too bad that my so-called 'nap' stretched the whole night.

Although, I don't disagree I didn't purposely ignore Maddie's calls. I didn't want to have to explain anything over the phone especially about Caleb.

Wait. There is nothing about Caleb.

All that happened yesterday was a mere coincidence. Caleb was polite enough to at least apologize for what he said. But that was it. We had nothing in between us except the usual hatred and bickering.

Okay, cross out that bickering since I've decided I won't ever face him again. No talking to Caleb, no problems. Simple. The talk yesterday was like a pact – we now have nothing between us and we'll even stop fighting like kids. I shake my head, dismissing all thoughts about Caleb.

"I'm sorry. Come on, I told you I slept off." I stand up and hold her arm.

"You still haven't explained anything." She looks at me, her hazel eyes demanding explanations. I sigh and start off by the class incident and finally end it on the conversation we had yesterday on the way home.

Except for the part where we were stuck like gum on a tree.

"Maddie, what-

"WOW!" She starts squealing and jumping around me. I look around, thanking my luck that the girls' locker room is empty.

"Uh...am I supposed to be jumping with you or do I have to call the mental asylum?" She stops in her tracks and she playfully glares at me before proceeding with round two of jumping like an overdosed squirrel.

I need to get her anti-Calexcitement pills.

"What's all the excitement about, girls?" A squeaky voice interrupts Maddie's little happy dance and I almost gag at the sight.

"Just happy about passing a test, Veronica," Maddie answers, unsure of what to say and gives me a what-the-fuck-is-she-doing-here look.

Trust me, Maddie, my look was way better with the I-don't-fucking-give-a-shit-you're-here look nailed on perfectly.

"Whatever." Veronica and her minions roll their eyes and I definitely raised my eyebrows there in surprise. Creepy, much?

"I'm holding a party this weekend, Maddie. Summer, why don't you join it? It'll be fun, won't it girls?" Veronica sickly smiles at me. Even if a prophet told me otherwise, I would have still stood firm on the fact that this sneaky bitch had something up her damn sleeve.

She doesn't even wear sleeves.

Ugh. Let's make it a skirt, alright?

"I would love it if you come, Summer. The more the merrier, right?" She takes a step closer to me, with her arms crossed and an equivocal smile etched on her face.