Prolouge

She's a badassWith a big heart

She's a badass
With a big heart

Valour runs her thin fingers through her sweat matted hair, her anxiety taking over her body. The thought of not getting the internship makes her heart race. For as long as she could remember this was her dream job, taking after her mother one of the most gifted surgeons the ark has ever seen.
She wanted to help people. She wanted to do everything she could so that a child, a mother, a father, a person, could see the next day. Getting the nursing internship would allow her to do exactly that. She strived to be just like her mother, after all she was the spinning image of Lyanna Kane. Same dark hair, fierce eyes, defiant, caring, and one of the kindest people everyone around her knew. And just like her mother, she was willing to do whatever she could to protect those around her, even if it meant her demise.

As she walks to the wall, turns on her heels and repeats the process she feels cool hands on her shoulders, making her jump slightly. She turns to find Grey, her boyfriend of almost two years. His eyes are soft, which they rarely are, but regardless leaves her feeling uneasy.

"Stop worrying, you'll get into the program Val". He steady's her, though she can feel the goose bumps pop up upon her skin from the simple touch.

She nods, hoping he's right. Not only would she have to face the wrath of her father, but he'd want her to be a guard just like he was. It was far from what she wanted to do. She didn't want to end up anything like Markus Kane.

"I hope so, I want to make her proud". Valour smiles slightly still feeling uneasy.

She watches as her father turns the corner, his expression unreadable as always. Grey turns seeing where her eyes are trained, the older man stopping in front of the couple. Valour holds her breath praying to whatever being is out there that she got in.

"You just barely passed". His brows furrow, creating lines in the middle. He's not happy.

"I got in"? Valour raises a brow, not exactly hearing the barley part.

"You almost didn't. Your Mark was so low, but as a favour and a promise that you'll do better, you got in".

Though all she wants to hear is she made it, she can see the anger that boils in his dark eyes.

"I studied, for hours, for weeks". She crosses her arms, feeling like a child getting a lecture, not an eighteen year old about to get her own living quarters and a job.

"Clearly not hard enough. What would your mother think with such scores"? He throws the paper he holds in his hands to the floor, storming into their living quarters.

As the door closes, Valour picks up the paper containing her test scores. Her eyes scan the paper before coming to her percentage. 81%. She knows her score doesn't compare to that of her mother, but was her fathers response to it really necessary? Grey takes the paper, reading over her mark too.

"It's not totally bad". He nods.

"But it's not good enough". Her voice is nearly as low as a whisper.

She hates feeling like this. Hates the fact her father has so much control over her life, and her feelings. She hates how he seems to belittle her, when she knows she's so much more that what he gives her credit for. But since her moms death he's changed more than she could possibly wrap her mind around. Not only did she lose her mother, she lost her father too, the only difference is he isn't dead.

"I think I need to be by myself". She inhales, and exhales deeply.

"Whatever". His voice is bleak, and careless, which no longer surprises her.

He walks off with an annoyed sigh, Valour heading off in a different direction with no actual destination, just where her feet seem to carry her. Finding herself in Mecha Station. She cannot count on her fingers how many times she's roamed the corridors of the ark like she is now, ending up in places she'd  never knew about. Even though she's spent her whole life on the ark, she still comes to halls and turns she's never been too. As she walks with her head down, she suddenly bumps into someone, embarrassment taking over immediately.

"I'm so sorry". She says before looking up, and meeting an all too familiar pair of dark eyes.

"Hey there V". The tanned brunette smiles with her hands in her jean pockets.

"Hey Raven". She smiles, not being able to recount the last time she'd seen the girl.

"I was actually meaning to talk to you". Raven says, surprising Valour.

"About"? She raises a brow.

Raven looks around them, people walking in each direction.
"Somewhere more private".

Valour looks around, knowing a hall that's deserted most of the time not too far from where they are. She leads raven just a few minutes to the hall, where a circular window gives a stunning view of earth.

"So". Raven inhales. "Remember that whole ship thing that accidentally got ejected into space"? Raven asks, emphasizing the world accidentally.

Valour nods. It was all everyone's been talking about. Apparently it was a malfunction that sent an old spacecraft into space.

"It wasn't an accident, was it"?

"Bingo. And the whole virus spreading thing? Don't believe that ether. I think, they sent the juveniles down in it". Raven speculates.

"Why would they do that"? Valour questions confused.

"I have yet to figure that part out, but I was hoping maybe you'd know of anything odd going on. Maybe your dad mentioned something"?

Valour shakes her head. Her dad doesn't tell her anything regarding politics and whatnot. It's a family rule, one her mother had come up with years ago after an argument Nine year old Valour had with her father, not taking to him for four days straight. Five years after she died, the rule still stuck.

Raven seems disappointed at her response but only smiles.
"Well if you hear anything, id appreciate if you'd let me know".

"Let me help". Valour says before she wraps her mind around the words. "I'm curious now".

Raven smirks.
"Thata girl".

Valour can't help but feel excitement at uncovering anything they may be hiding. Reminding her of all the adventures they had as children.