Chapter Two

Chapter Two - Natalie's Pov

There is a knock on my door, it must be Preston. He said he would be coming over soon.

Lachlan stands at my doorstep, no emotion to be found in his eyes.

"Hey."

I start to shut the door but, he stops me, his hand forcing the door to remain open. "Really? Slam the door in my face. C'mon Natalie."

"What do you want!?" I snap, my patience running thin.

"I'll just leave." He replies, a cold tone of voice. "I guess you don't care about your dying friend."

I grab him by the arm even though I meant to grab his hand. "Wait what?"

He turns, a laugh escaping his lips. "Madi is in the hospital, she's dying-" He pauses before beginning again, "-I don't know why I just laughed, it's not funny."

"I don't understand." I admit, keeping back my tears even though they blur my vision. "Why Madi? Why-" I am interrupted.

"-Why does everyone I love keep dying?" Lachlan finished, letting out a long exasperated sigh. "Madi was like a sister to me."

MITCH'S POV

This was the darkest of days.

Watching Madi struggle to even say my name because of the medication they had put her on. She was trapped in her own body,

trying to break free.

"Visiting hours are over, sir." A doctor had told me. The guys were already up and by the door but, I remained in my seat.

"Mitch.." She whispered and gripped ahold of my hand. "Don't leave." Jerome steps forwards and says, "We will be waiting at the car."

Once the guys leave the room we sit in silence. She was dying. Everyone knew it.

It seemed like only a few hours ago I found her barely conscious, struggling for reality. "It's okay to let go." I kiss her hand, "I'll be okay."

Then I left. Not by choice but, because I didn't feel like crying in front of me.

Preston tried to call me thousands of times this past hour and, I finally answered.

"What are the doctors saying? That Madi is dying?" He asked me, carefulness in his voice, treating me as if I was a ticking time bomb and any word can set me off. "Yes."

"Ooh... That sucks. What are you going to do about-" He pauses, taking his next words into consideration but, continues anyways, "-About.. The kid.."

"Do you pay attention at all!? The kid, I mean.. Madeline... Is long gone."

"SHE'S DEAD!?" Preston screams through the phone, making my ear throb from the high pitch. "No you dick! While Madi was in New York a few months ago I gave Madeline to an adoption center."

He laughs, making me feel even worse. "You're the dick! I think you can proudly award yourself with the worst husband of the year award!"

I end the call, without hesitation and join the team crafted boys in the parking lot