Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen (Madi's Pov)

I open the front door, staying silent as Lachlan and Natalie talk. "I'm going away to a University and I want you to come with me."

My mouth drops open wide and in tempted to do a very dramatic "ooh."

"Lachlan, I.." The only word going through my mind is yes, yes, yes. Tell him yes right now Natalie! "I totally want to go to the University with you! But-"

"But," He sighs, the smile on his face fading away. "I can't, you know that I have to go to college back in the U.K. I'm sorry."

He brings her in his arms, holding her tight, rubbing her back every so slightly. "It's okay, I know. You don't need to apologize."

"So cheesy. Am I watching a Nicholas Sparks novel retelling?" I say, the two looking over at me. "You were eavesdropping!" Natalie accuses. "Mhm, does that bother you?"

"Just a little, but I think you can make it up too me by a little explanation," She replies a smirk growing on her face make me feel uneasy. Lachlan looked a little uneasy too, following Natalie into the house. "We are going to talk for just a few minutes alone, okay?" She tells him, reminding me that I am about to tell what I have told noone. Not even the people I hold dearest to me.

“Okay?” He looks back at me, I give him a smirk. He rolls his eyes and looks back at Natalie. “Just a few minutes,” He replies and walks back upstairs where Mitch, Jerome, and Preston are.

“I am not sure I want to know why you wrote it.” She tells me as we walk back upstairs because Lachlan’s parents are just on the other side of that wall. His dad probably watching some football, and his mom listening to us, wondering what Lachlan doesn’t need to know so she can tell him later.

“I am not sure you want to know either.”

We walk into the late Candace Power’s room, sadly emptied and painted boring white instead of the pink it used to be. Natalie sits down on the floor and leans against the wall so, I do the same.

 “Now before you think I love lachlan or something let me just say that will never happen, ever!” I say and I mean it. “I didn’t really think you loved him, but okay.”

 “I will explain why I wrote the note first. After that I will tell you something between Lachlan and myself.” I told her very slowly to make sure she understood every word. “I knew he would think Lacey had written the note. I saw her walking around town yesterday and well… Approached her about Lachlan making sure he wasn’t doing anything with her. She said she thought he was gone, apparently Lachlan told her, two days after you left, that he was leaving, going to be with you at college. That little liar-” Natalie interrupts me. “He did.”

 I stare at her. Why would he come back though, why would Natalie stay, why did he never talk about his trip to see Natalie. “What! What happened?”

 “Long story short, Lachlan showed up at my college when I was walking to my next class. He decided to grab my arm instead of just shout my name. And I think we all know if noone you know are in the area and some stranger decides to grab your arm, you are going to freak. So, I pepper sprayed him. After that he got his eyes checked out and I told him to please leave.”

 “Did he?” I ask, trying not to laugh over the thought of Lachlan screaming in pain as the spray touched his eyes. “Yes, after a little arguing.”

“What! You said no! Ugh, why can’t your relationship be like the books!?”

“Just continue, please,” She replies. “Okay… Anyways, I wanted to make sure he really did care about you. I mean, you’re my best friend and I cannot have you be with the wrong guy.”