Chapter Six

Chapter Six - Lachlan's Pov

"Do you want me to answer honestly?" I ask, picking at my finger nails. "No, lie to me."

"I am not okay with it."

"And..." Natalie begins, awkwardly. "You are lying to me, right?"

"Yes I am lying."

"So, you are okay with it?" She asks. "Oh my- Natalie! I am okay with it," I laugh slightly. "Can I ask you something?"

"That depends," I reply, "What about?"

"Lacey."

"Sure," I lean closer to the table so, that I could rest my head on my fist. "What happened with you and her? Like... Is she still with you?"

I laugh for no reason at all, almost out of pity for myself. "She left, just like you did. And Preston, and Mitch, Jerome... Madi."

"Oh..."

"Yup, she has a boyfriend and I had a girlfriend." I shrug like, 'Oh no biggie.'

"All it was a few late night kisses. Nothing more."

Once Natalie realizes I am finished, she turns the other way in the chair and stands up. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? For what?"

"Leaving you," She says and walks into another room, leaving me alone to just sit there, bored.

"Uhm- I am going to head home!" I shout into the silence of the almost empty house. Soon enough I hear a quite, "Okay."

I open the door only slightly and stand there for a minute. "I knew the possibilities would be endless, but I did not know that would mean dating my best friend."

Natalie's Pov - Three Hours Later

"So, what did he say? Is Lachlan okay with it?" Preston asks me, kicking a pebble with his foot.

"He said... No." I lie, not quite sure what to say other than a simple no. "Oh, that's weird. I just talked to him about a half an hour ago. He seemed okay with it once I asked him."

"Well, maybe he just wanted to spare your feelings?"

Preston shrugs, "Who cares about what Lachlan wants anyways? We can still date, right?"

"Yeah, sure..."

"Hey," He grabs ahold of my arm, stopping my walk. "Why do I get the feeling you don't want to be my girlfriend?"

"I do!" I lie, regretting it as soon as Preston smiles. "Good."

"Yeah..." I clear my throat to fill the few seconds of silence. "I- Uh- Think I am going to head home."

Preston nods. "Okay, We could hang out there."

"No."

He raises his eyebrow at my sudden refusal. "I want to be alone."

I do not know what else to say so, I give him a simple hug, say goodbye, and walk away.

"Alright!" He shouts so I could hear him. "I'll see you tomorrow!"

Once I turn the corner I am close enough to see my house. A car, no. A truck is parked in my driveway. The engine is still running, but I can not see whoever is in the car.

I start to walk a little bit faster even though I know whose familiar truck that is. It's Lachlan, rust old truck that he rarely drives anymore.

Now I'm in my driveway, walking up to the truck. Lachlan looks at me through his mirror and smiles.