Chapter Three

Chapter Three - Lachlan's Pov

"I watched her die Lachlan..." Jerome says into the phone, stumbling on his words. "She died right.. In.. Front of me."

I glance over to Natalie who has her head in her hands, trying to fight back the tears that threatened to shed.

"I killed her Lachlan."

I hear his sobs through the phone. It started with an inhale then a rough exhale finally a sniffle and another rough breath. "You didn't kill her.. It was her time to finally make it Neverland."

"You knew..?"

I swallow the saliva that was in my mouth and took in a breath. "Yes.. I knew because she's not alone. You don't have to be suicidal to want to go to Neverland."

There's a long silence, the only thing that is to be exchanged is our smooth inhales and ragged exhales. "What if you are.."

"..What if you are suicidal Lachlan?"

I look again at Natalie who now stares off into space, her chin propped up on the palm of her hand. Then I begin to think about how lonely she must be. For months she was alone.. She was so sad because of me. Now she comes back and has to face the death of a high school friend that she had failed to help.

"Yeah.. Maybe I am. Or I am just a monster watching people die around me! First it was Natalie's father, then it was Candace now it's Madi!" I slam my fist down on the kitchen table I was sitting at. "I can't keep watching people die Jerome!"

"You-" He laughs, a evil laugh. "-You didn't watch your girlfriend die right in front of you! How would you feel if Natalie died right now, right in front of you!?"

I have now upset him, offended him. "I would be crushed."

"Damn right!"

Then the phone disconnects, Jerome had ended the call. I sigh, placing my phone down on the table, putting my head in my hands as I cover my face.

"Natalie." I call her name, not looking up from my hands. "I- I am really sorry for what I did."

"I've heard you apologize so many times Lachlan." I can hear her sigh that turns into a long inhale. "How am I supposed to know if you're being sincere?"

"How? If I were to tell you how, that would take a while so, why don't I just show you?" I sit up from the uncomfortable wooden dining chair only to sit on the sofa in the living room. "What do you mean show me?"

"Well, when I received your letter I had written one back but, I never mailed it. So, uhm.. Here." I took the note out of my pocket, I always kept it with me whenever I felt like I could- No, should give it to her. I don't remember what I had written word for word but, it was something like this;

'Maybe I did make a mistake. I won't deny that it was wrong. I cheated on you Natalie. Not just once, many times. For months.

You can't leave again. When you come back, please just stay. Once you left and I was alone with Lacey, I didn't feel right. I felt empty.

You are my anchor, and I need you to keep a smile on my face.

I need you.'

".. I am confused, are you dating Lacey?" She asks me, her eyes grazing around the horribly written letter. "No.. I never did."

"Wait.. What?" Natalie sighs, scratching the back of her neck. "If you never got together than what did you do?"

"I kissed her Natalie."

I avoid eye contact by looking at the other side of the room, away from her. "-Many, many times."

"I know." She says plainly.