A Heart-to-Heart

The Hokage lazily let out his breath, still ever allured by the smoke that billowed from his mouth. "I've decided to sign you and the Shodaime up for the Chunnin Exams."

     Slamming her fist on the table, she barked, "What about Gaara?!"

     The boy had once again travelled back to Suna, holding his end of the bargain.

     "He's going to be participating in a Team from Sunagakure with his siblings."

      At the new information, she sank down. She had no idea what the relationship was between Gaara and his siblings now because he didn't talk much. He was still fucking carrying around that cactus and its probably seen God knows what. 

     'Genma', on the other hand was beaming with excitement with stars in his eyes, "Tsubaki! We're going to be Chunnin! Chunnin!"

      Sweatdropping, she stated, "You were Hokage.... Why the hell are you excited...? I guess it beats your sad mug up on top of that mountain there."

      Anime tears fell down his cheeks, "You're so cruel..."

      Gripping her arm tightly, she scowled, "Like you're the one to talk. Hell to it, I don't want to work with you."

     The Sarutobi was immune to it all. Since the day she came back, the two's relationship was broken and random things were set her off to yelling at the Shodaime Hokage again. As far as he was informed... His sensei had killed Tsubaki's brother. Not only that, but she had an uncharacteristic outburst in where she partially revealed 'Genma' 's true identity. None of Team 7 went searching for answers. It seemed like they either trusted her or were too afraid to ask. 

     Handing the two the slips, he ordered, "Get out of my office... I honestly can't stand anymore of this with my never-ending mountain of paperwork."

     Frustrated, she bit her cheek and shunshinned out, winding up back at the Uchiha Compound. Tsubaki was just so done with it all. Sure, she had a blast with all of her new friends, but her lingering past would never leave her alone. 

     Sighing, she combed through her long, black locks of hair, staring at the yellow piece of paper, "It's going to be a long night."

     Her dreams lately had been plagued of something so simple yet haunting. In the Waves, there was a paper that had somehow survived the paper. Upon ordinary eyes, it was just a regular piece of paper with a cryptic message  written upon it. 

     But she knew that it was sent for her. Tsubaki Uchiha didn't grab it though. Why didn't she? Was it because she didn't want to confirm it? Was she just afraid?

     Was Madara Uchiha afraid?

     Clutching her hand close to her chest, the one that had helped Sakura's bleeding hand, she closed her eyes. 

     She knew that it was going to happen. What was she to expect?

      She had been blatantly told the choice when Death came. It was just so simple... But why was it so hard to choose?

      Shivering, the cool night air had dusted over her skin, prickling goosebumps. Then, she fell into a dreamless sleep.

-----*****-----

     "A-ah, Tsubaki-chan, " Naruto mumbled quietly, cheeks red as he remembered swooping in and taking her. He covered his face with his hands in embarrassment.

     "Naruto? What is it?" she replied, unaware at the boy's actions.

     "N-nothing!" he stuttered and bolted out, kicking up a cloud of dirt as he did. It was embarrassing for the fact that he had proclaimed his love for her. It was more so confusing that she acted as if nothing happened.

      She just lounged casually in the Uchiha Compound, sipping what seemed to be black coffee. He had noticed the dark circles under her eyes, but just couldn't bear to say a single word to her.

     When he reentered, he realized that seals were placed all along the walls, but he couldn't recognize which ones. "Uhh... Tsubaki-chan?"

     She set down her mug and motioned to the seat in front of her, "Take a seat."

     Tentatively, he sat down, a bit nervous.

     "It seems that you made a good point back in the Land of the Waves."

     Sasuke's twin got up and activated the seals, "No one will be able to hear our conversation, but I feel like you are trustworthy enough to know."

     Taking a deep breath, she stated, "This is not my first life, Naruto. I lived one before this and I... Wasn't a good person."

     "It doesn't matter who you were then!" he argued back.

     "Naruto... I am one of the reasons why your parents are dead."

     The Uzumaki froze, cerulean eyes widened.

     "In my past life, I betrayed the village and tried to destroy it. I later on took one of the ninjas here and corrupted his mind, shaping him to my image. I was never a good person, not until I ended my life. At the end, I had no idea why I was even going anymore. I wanted revenge but the people were already dead. I regretted it, every single bit of it..."

     Tsubaki continued to establish her point, "I told my pupil to kill your parents... I-I'm so sorry..."

      She could feel the tears running down her cheeks, but it just made her only feel worse. Why was she the one crying when Naruto was the one that should've been.

      She kept on trying fiercely to wipe them away, but they continued to fall. 

      Naruto Uzumaki was hurt, severely hurt. He had wished that she had told him sooner, but if he was in her shoes... How could he tell? How could anyone possibly tell their best friend that they killed their parents before they were friends?

     He was torn, absolutely torn between comforting her and yelling. However, his heart never lied, and he knew he loved her. "Tsubaki-chan... Right now, I hate you."

      She stopped and looked up at him with teary eyes. "Then make it even."

     "But I don't want to hurt you... Somehow, I'm glad that you told me yourself. I would probably never be able to say it, dattebayo..."

      "Naruto..."

      "I need some time alone... Just give me some time to think. I won't tell anyone else what you told me though... I'll see you later."

      And Naruto Uzumaki left the room.