Dance With Death

A/N: A dance with death. What is this death you might wonder? Going all the way back to the first book where a chapter was named Thanatos. Issac is walking the fine blade of a precipice. Risking setting himself back due to traumas that could still very easily consume him. Jonas has a chapter coming up really soon. We haven't seen much from him for a reason.

*************

Issac:

      We'd been split in the nighttime forest, a pack of creepers having snuck up on our shack. I looked to my right, spotting a tree as I was taking on a barbaric. I unraveled the length of chain on my chain-sickle, throwing it at a tree and wrapping it around. I turned on my attacker, pulling the chain taut as I braced for impact. I caught it by the torso, being pulled forward on the tension. I ran forward, jumping over the length of chain and restraining it. I drew my pistol, firing at a creeper coming for me. I turned back on the barbaric that I had wrapped up in my length of chain, lunging at its spine, driving the blade into a gap in its fungal armor. Its fighting stopped and I unhooked myself and chain before gripping a length of chain once more. I rushed off in a wave of death to help Benjamin who was being approached from behind.

"Duck!" I commanded, swinging the chain, sending the weight flying into the skull of the creeper that was leaping from behind him. I reclaimed the chain, slinking off into the darkness again over to Ezekiel who was taking on another barbaric. I swung the weight around me in a wide arc, slinging it around the barbaric's neck, making me glad this length of chain was so long. I ran around a tree, quickly pulling the chain taut and driving the sickle into the tree to secure it. Just as quickly I had lunged passed it quickly, severing its tendons with my tanto. Its arms fell limply while Ezekiel finished it off with a shot from his rifle. I ran back around, slipping back into my killing instinct again just that fast.

     I unhooked my chain-sickle, rushing off to take on some more creepers in the darkness. Each one I cut down had me going further and further until all that the only thing that filled my senses was the sound of rattling chain, the tearing of flesh, and pained screams of the tweakers and creepers. It was like I was more deadly than in my prime. This length of chain could support my weight and I could swing small distances with it to aid in my agility. Though my streak came to a halt as I found myself surrounded, creepers sizing me up. Though just as they leaped at me another pained scream could be heard; this one sounding more alive. The creepers froze suddenly, turning and running off into the forest. I ran to join Benjamin who was crouched down holding Ezekiel in his arms. What I saw had my heart lurching as I instantly came down off of my killing high. Ezekiel was grasping at a bloody bite mark on his neck.

"What happened?" I questioned, keeping a watchful eye on the shadows around us.

"Bitten at the start. I think its over for me." Ezekiel grimaced.

"Fuck man its been 10 minutes. You're okay. Lets get back to the shopping center." Benjamin urged, dragging up some compassion and hoisting up his fallen friend.

"Defend us until we get there." He commanded.

"Just leave me Ben." Ezekiel pleaded.

"No man. Not leaving you behind brother." Benjamin refused as I wanted to just put him out of his misery.

"He's just waiting to turn." I huffed, stepping in front of Benjamin to block his path, sickle drawn.

"We can't just kill him deputy." Benjamin returned sharply.

"Just what happened to being willing to kill when others aren't willing?" I retorted just as venomously.

"He's no exception. If you won't do it I will. I'd like to sleep without having to worry about something biting me." I tacked on, spinning the weight on the end of my chain.