Chapter One

"Well, this is Me," I turned to face my Dad, who wore a frown as he took in the hall.

"You never told me you lived in a co-ed dorm. Can we switch?" I rolled my eyes and took my bag from his hands, balancing it in my already full hands.

"Dad, I was lucky to get into this college, I'll take what I'm given," I plastered a fake smile on my face to hide my annoyance.

"Alright, I guess. Can I at least meet your roommate before I go?" I sighed but nodded. Dad opened the door and we walked in.

A girl who looked about my age sat on the bed on the right side of the room, taking out decorations and plastering them to the wall. She medium-length black hair with green ends. It matched the color of her eyes.

"Oh, Hi," she greeted us. 

"Hi, I'm Rose," I set down some things and extended my hand. She shook it and smiled at me.

"Harlow,"

"Alright Dad, you can go," I motioned out the door, but Dad stayed in place. I sighed and pulled his hand in the hall.

"Dad, I need to set up. You need to go We talked about this," it was true. I had told him at least fifty times that he had t go once we got here.

"Alright, fine, but be careful," he crossed his arms and looked me over. I nodded and started back into the room. I knew he wasn't going to hug me. It wasn't his way.

"Wait, Rosie, I..." I looked at him. He shook his head.

"Never mind. I'm going to go now. Text me," I nodded and walked back into the dorm, closing the door behind me.

"Well, that was the least-sentimental thing I've ever seen," Harlow said. I laughed and walked to my stuff.

"Yeah, that's just how my family is," I took out clothing and placed them in my under-bed drawers.

"Well, I guess, since we're both here, we should discuss some things," she said, taking a gum back out of her pocket and tossing three pieces in her mouth.

"Okay. I guess," I sat on my mattress and looked at her.

"Well," her words came out muffled because of the gum, "do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend I should expect to see around?" I shook my head, "alright. Any siblings?" I shook my head again, "Good. ANy weird obsessions?" I laughed and thought for a minute.

"What would you count as weird?" I asked. she tilted her head.

"That is a good question. I'm not quite sure," she took out her phone and typed in some things.

"weird, /weird/ adjective... suggesting something supernatural; uncanny," she looked up at me.

"Any uncanny obsessions?" I laughed and stood back up, taking out my laptop and gaming gear.

"Well, I'm sort of a gamer, a nerd," I took out my books and Harlow rolled her eyes, "Well, you're not weird, just a nerd. Good to know. Are you a buzzkill?" I shook my head.

"Nope. At least, not that I know of," she nodded.

"That's good. Are you going to the welcome party on the campus green?" she asked.

"I was planning on it,"

"Are you going to be sober, or have fun and drink?" I laughed.

"Drink. Definitely drink," she laughed.

"I finally don't have a shitty roommate!" she fell back on her bed and squealed. I laughed and kept taking things out.

"My parents shipped me to a private school in Alabama for my high school education. Every single one of those losers was a buzzkill," she examined her purple nails, "I'm okay with people being nerds. Like, whatever floats your boat, but you can't be stuck-up and annoying. That's what I hate," I glanced at her.