Chapter Twenty

"So, I need to see your progress people. I'll come around, and tell me what your story was and how long it will take you to finish it," Professor Scott looked hungover today. His cool demeanor was replaced with an annoying one, and he had large dark circles under his eyes. He didn't shave and had a layer of scruff framing his jaw.

He went around to the other students, who looked uninterested in their projects. Some were asleep by the time he got to them.

"Miss Rose, please tell me you've gotten more progress on your project, or I will pull my hair out," he said, running a hand down his face. I smiled gently and took out my notebook.

"I was wondering if I can keep my project a secret," he tilted his head.

"What do you mean a secret,"

"It would mean I can still give you progress reports, but I would keep the title and details secret," he mulled this over.

"As long as you're getting something done. Did you finish your reading assignment?" I nod.

"Is your first draft done?" nod.

"Well, work on your final one then, and I'll give you permission to skip class until everyone else is done if you turn it in early," I grinned and nodded, knowing my final draft was going to be done sometime this week. 

The rest of the class was mellow and boring. Students read their assignments or worked in their first drafts. 

On my way to Auto, a cold rain started, and I was drenched and a human ice cube by the time I got to the building.

"Mornin' Mickey," I say, setting down my bag and rubbing my red arms.

"Geez Rose, did you not look at the weather today?" I shrugged and took the hair tie out of my wet hair.

Max walked in and looked at me.

"What happened to you?" he asked, slight worry framing his eyes.

"Nothing, I just didn't have a jacket," he sighed and put his stuff down.

"here, take mine," he starts to shrug it off, but I stop him.

"No, it's fine. I'll dry off," he completely ignores me and I sigh but don't argue anymore.

"Here," he helps me pull it over my head and I look down. His sweatshirt completely covered torso and some of my thighs. Max smiled and leaned down to my ear.

"You look sexy in my sweatshirt, Miel," I gulped and bit my lip.

He lifted me up and placed me on what was now my stool.

"What work does the car need today? I'll take care of it while I dry off," I shake my head.

"Just because I'm wet doesn't mean I'm handicapped," I look around at the other guys for some support, but they shake their head.

"Sorry, Rose, I'm with max," said Arty.

"Same," said James.

I rolled my eyes and looked at the smirking Max.

"I'm right. Just let me do something," he comes over and leans one hand on either side of me.

"I'm giving you the unwanted jobs. You realize that right?" he laughs and I push him a little.

Everyone gets to work and I get Max to clean the grate and make the wheels stop squeaking. 

While he was working, I took in his sweatshirt. It smelled like him, and was too long, covering my hands.

"So how are you and Harlow?" Max asks from the sink next to me. I shrug.

"Did she tell you what happened yesterday?" I ask. He shakes his head and looks at me, concerned.

"It's not my right to tell you," I mumble, wishing I didn't bring anything up. Ethan hadn't responded to her ext yet, and it was driving Harlow insane.

"Rose, this is my sister we're talking about. Anything that is about her needs to be about me," I grimace, still unsure if I should tell him.

"Umm. So. You knew that Jet and Harlow used to be a 'thing,' right?" he nods and turns off the water, wiping the grate down and placing it to dry, grabbing some paper towels to clean the screws.

"She was obsessed with him. She's better without the fucker in my opinion," he says simply. I swallow and keep going.

"Well, yesterday she went on a date with him, just to test the waters. Apparently, he had been saying how he'd change for her," he stopped and turned to me.

"what?" I nod and keep going.

"Yeah. She said she caught him making out with a girl in the girl's restroom," he threw the paper towel in his hand down and looked at the ceiling.

"That's not all. Remember the guy she kissed at that bar we went to?" he nods.

"Well, he saw that and is pissed right now. I still think he's a better fit for her, but he won't text her back," he groaned and kicked the wall. Since it was brick, hardly any sound arose from it.

"are you kidding?" he asks. I shake my head and he kicks the wall again.

"I'm going to kill Jet," he starts to leave but I grab his hand.

"Don't you're going to make it worse," he tries to pull away.

"If you leave I'm backing out on our date," his ad flips to me and he groans.

"Tha's a dick move," he mumbled. I pull him closer and kiss his cheek.

"You're so adorable when you're mad," I remark, trying to lighten the mood. He rolls his eyes, but I can see his smile.

"Just promise me one punch," he begs. I nod.

"One punch. Only one," he nods and grabs the grate. I notice the shaking of his hand and stop him.

"Come here," I motion, and he hoists himself on the counter next to me.

"What?"

"You can't focus. Let's talk about something else," he looks me up and down.

"Your hair is pretty when it's wet," I blush and he smiles.

"I love it when you blush. You look cute, Miel," I smile.

"Alright, so I had an idea for our future date," Max said sliding off the counter and walking so he is in front of me.

"And what might that be?" I ask. He leans on my stool and I laugh.

"You and me, going to a food place I know, then going to a surprise of mine,"

"A surprise? What might that be?" I aks. He shrugs.

"As I said, Rose, it's a surprise," a chill is sent through my spine when he said my name. His accent rolled the 'r' and I bit my lip again.

"When you do that, it makes me want to kiss you," he whispers. All joking was pushed aside and his forehead was on mine.

"I always want to kiss you," I sighed and Mickey looked over.

"Hey, Lovebirds, get to work!" Max groaned and pulled away.

"Could you not be a buzzkill?" he asked. I laughed and he put one arm around me.

"Friday. I'll pick you up at four, alright?" I nod and Max gets back to work.

But my head is in the clouds.