Chapter Sixty

When I woke up, Max's arms were still wrapped around my waist. His head was buried in the crook of my shoulder, and his leg was overlapping mine.

I carefully moved him off of me before sitting up, the chilled air biting at my bare skin.

Max stirred next to me and breathed in sharply before yawning.

"What time is it?" he asked, reaching for my waist. I smiled at him and checked my phone.

"Nine. Damn, I missed my class. I can still get to auto on time if I hurry," I threw my phone down and grabbed a pair of jeans, slipping them on while Max watched. My face turned red.

"What?" I asked. Max shook his head and laid back on my bed. I noticed how the sheets were pulling on the corner of the mattress, and the quilt I used as a comforter was tangled ad twisted.

"Nothing. Just admiring the view," he said, standing up and handing me a sweater. I took it without hesitation and slipped it over my head. The red sweater was itchy but warm. It was plain but had buttons on the sleeves. 

"Stop rushing. You have half an hour," Max said, pulling me to him by my waist. I sighed but placed my head against his broad chest.

"Calm down and just relax," he kissed the top of my head. I closed my eyes as he swayed us side to side. I pulled away from him.

"Max, I need to leave. Don't you have class?" I asked. Max shook his head, the long mess flopping around. he neede a haircut badly.

"My only class today starts at one. I was smart and picked late classes this semester," MMax pulled on his jeans and shirt as I grabbed my backpack and tied up my brown, leather boots with the red laces.

"Smart for you. I like my early class," I stood up and grabbed my hairbrush, tying my hair into a high ponytail. Only then did I notice the small bruise on my neck.

"Max?" I asked, turning around with a hand on my hip. 

Max looked at my neck and laughed and I put my head on my hand.

"It's small. No one will notice it. And if they do, what's the big deal?" he asked, hugging me from behind.

"You're such an ass," I said, pulling my sweater up, trying to cover it. No luck.

With a final sigh grabbed my coat and slipped it on. As I stepped out of the dorm room, Max grabbed my wrist. He rose it to his face and I turned to him. He was inspecting the charm bracelet I wore.

"You still wear it?" he asked, pointing to the small charm on the side. I smiled and nodded.

"That's awesome," he whispered. Clasping that hand in his.

"Why do you like Saint Joan of Arc so much?" I asked, pressing the elevator button. Max smiled.

"She was my confirmation saint," he said. 

"Have I asked you that question before?" I asked him. he shrugged, a small smile on his lips.

"Probably, Miel. Now, let's go before you start punishing me for making you late," he said, sliding his hand from my wrist to my palm, encasing my small hand in his.

"Fine,"

I walked to class with a daze.

Max was back. And he was with me.

I slipped my hand around his waist and pulled him closer as we walked, lowering my head on his shoulder. I could faintly hear the sound of his heart through his heavy coat.

When I got to auto Mickey looked between me and Max, who hugged as we parted. He smiled at me and I blushed.

"Back together, are ya?" he asked, pulling his overalls up by the small, worn straps.