Chapter Fifty-Two

"Miel, you got mail, " I looked up from my bowl of cereal I made for lunch (don't hate. Breakfast is just too early)

"No one knows I live here for the time being," I said, ripping the seal open. Before I even took it out, the realization hit me. I put this address into the form the publisher sent me.

I took out the paper and unfolded it. 

Dear Miss Potter,
Your story has been recommended to us by many people. It was a surprise to find it on a free writing platform. We at this publishing company...

I scanned the paper line for line and let out a squeal.

"What is it?" Max asked. I took out my wallet and tossed him a ten dollar bill. He smiled and came over, reading the paper over my shoulder.

"They want to send you book to Barnes and Noble?" he asked. I nodded and swiveled around, wrapping my arms around Max, kissing him harshly. He pulled me back laughing.

"Calm down. We need to look at the price," he said, taking the paper from my hand and scanning it. His smile faltered a bit, but I could tell he was still excited.

"It's expensive, but I think I can-"

"No, I can. Max, this is my book. I'll fund it. That is not open for a reason. Do you understand?" I tapped his head and he sighed, but laughed, walking back around and loading his dishes in the sink.

"Fine, princess,"

"Call me princess one more time and I swear..."

"What are you going to do?" he asked. I rolled my eyes, signaling he won.

"I'll think of something. Just give me time," I loaded my cereal bowl in the dishwasher.

"I think my dad is coming over today. He's worried about my cast," it was week four, and I couldn't wait for the relief I'd get from taking the heavy cast off.

"What is he so worried about? You're handling it fine," Max said, opening the closet that was converted into a laundry room. It was more like a laundry space, but it worked very well for what we needed.

"I think he's more worried I'll run off again. The fact that he got me a new phone wasn't enough, I guess," I felt very guilty about the expenses my Dad had to pay because of my actions. He assured me it was fine because he had an emergency fund he hadn't used from when my Mom was still alive. It was almost empty now, but he still purchased me the new phone, a step above the one I had last.

"That reminds me, the contacts you need are on my phone. And Harlow sent me the one for that one girl, Gabby," I nodded and grabbed his phone, unlocking it with my thumb.

"When did you put your fingerprint in there?" Max asked. I shrugged, a  small smile forming on my lips.

"You know, you can be such a pain in the ass," he said, teasingly, picking a shirt out of the dryer and slipping it on. I guess he figured my Dad wouldn't want to see him walking around the house we shard half-naked.

"It's my specialty," I said, copying down various contacts and downloading Wattpad because that was a necessity.

"I have a job later today, so I won't be able to stay the whole time your Dad is here,"

"Crap,"

"Why is that a crap?"

"Well," I grimaced, picking at my nail, "my Dad doesn't know you leave me alone. I was afraid he'd freak out," Max groaned and placed his head on the counter.

"Miel, you need to start talking to him. He's here at least once a week and you talk about things like the weather. He may not like it, but he needs to know I leave for work," Max said. I sighed, knowing he was right, but weighing my options.