Chapter Fifty

I apologize for the time it took for this chapter to come out. If you want my honesty, I really didn't want to write. I mean, I wanted to, but when I sat down, I just didn't feel like I had the energy. I've been working hard lately on other projects and had to prep my own siblings for college, which they will be attending this fall, so I've been so busy and exhausted. Hopefully, I will be able to update more often now that that's over, but no promises. I still will do at least one update a week. And lastly, sorry for the length of this chapter. It's decently short, but it's really just a filler. The jucier stuff will happen in the next few chapters. Thanks and keep reading!

Max was a dream.

He was always ready for any problem I had, always willing to help.

So I set up a surprise.

"Where are we going?" he asked, hopping in the driver's seat.

"Dinner,"

"You set up a dinner for the two of us?"

"I set up a dinner, yes,"

"well, just tell me where to go. We're not dressed up that much, so I doubt it's anywhere too fancy.

"You're correct,"

We drove. I told him to turn and he turned where I asked. I was wearing my daily-because of my cast, stretchy leggings, and an oversized sweater, which I now had a plentiful selection of. When we got to the place, the surprise was there.

"Why are we at chic-fil-A?" he asked. Then he looked at the doors. For a second, I saw his smile falter before it came back bigger than it was before.

"How did you manage to get them all in the same space without arguing?" he asked. I shrugged, smiling giddily.

At the door stood Harlow, Ethan, Nash, Bain- who was standing far away from Clove, Jet, and Belle.

"I never thought I'd be so happy to see these assholes," he said, sliding out of the truck and opening my door, helping me out. I could easily walk with the crutches now, but getting in and out of Max's truck can be a struggle.

"Hey, guys," I greeted. Belle had her scowl, but I saw the slight happiness behind it. Even though we had a mutual dislike for each other, I knew she missed Max and me", even if it was only to torment us.

"Hey, lovebirds. Rose, how are you feeling?" Nash asked, throwing out his cigarette.

"A lot better than a few weeks ago. Let's go get food,"

And food we did get. 

I must have eaten three sandwiches. Max and I saw together in the booth, his arm tucked around me. I was on the end, then Max, Nash, Jet, Belle, Bain, Harlow, Ethan, and Clove.

"So, whose idea was this?" Max asked, looking around.

"It was a combination of mine, Harlow's, and Nash's," I said. Max rubbed his thumb up and down as it rested on my arm.

"Well, thank you. I do appreciate it. Even though I sense so awkwardness," he said looking around. He wasn't wrong. Bain and Clove were shooting each other awkward glances and Jet was glaring wistfully at Ethan and Harlow.

"Yeah. You're welcome," Harlow said, taking an obnoxiously loud slurp of her pop.

"So, Rose, how has it been with that cast?" Clove asked. I shrugged.

"It's heavy. And extremely annoying," I said, swirling the ice in my drink and leaning my head on Max's chest and shoulder.

"And it's a ton of work to take care of you," Max said, swiping his thumb across my chin. I smiled at him.