Chapter Twenty-one

"So what are you two doing tonight?" asked Harlow. I shrugged.

"Just dinner. A 'surprise' after, whatever that is," I remarked, sliding on my jeans and a t-shirt.

"Did he say where you were going?" she asked, filing her nails and looking at my clothes in disapproval.

"No, but he told me to dress casual," I said, sliding on my shoes and tying up my hair.

"Wow, I'd like to say you look stunning, but...you don't," I laughed knowingly. I wasn't going for stunning. I was going for me.

"It's fine. I wasn't exactly going for sexy," I look in the mirror and frown.

"You see it too, don't you?" she asks. I sigh. She was right. I looked like I was trying too hard.

"Fine. Pick out something. I don't care what," I sit on my bed and look at the time with anticipation.

"Alright, here," she tossed me a different shirt and shoes.

The shirt was white and had a Notre Dame logo on it. It was short-sleeved. She also handed me my white converse.

"Umm, Harlow, I'm wearing a black bra," I say, slipping off my shirt.

"I know. I just hope it rains," I sigh and slip my stuff on. I looked better. I still tied up my hair like normal but grabbed my leather jacket.

"I'll let it go, but in the future, white shoes, white jacket," she warns, taking out a clear polish.

"Alright," I sigh and she laughs.

A thump sounds on the door and my heart flutters.

"It's unlocked," Harlow yells. I grab my phone and shove it in my back pocket.

"Wow, Harlow, so polite," Max mutters. He looks at me and his lips turn upward.

"Ready?" he asks. I nod and with a quick goodbye to Harlow, we're off.

"I brought my motorcycle. I hope that's okay," I nod and he hands me a helmet.

"Where's yours?" I aks. He chuckles and helps me hop on.

"I don't need one. Maybe one day, you'll be experienced enough to not need one," I shake my head but smile and I wrap my arms tightly around his waist.

"So where are we going?" I ask amongst the roar of the engine.

"Somewhere fun, I promise. It's maybe a half-an-hour away," 

We drive along the road and I look around. We were merging onto some dirt roads. When we finally stop, I get off the bike and take my helmet off.

"Where are we?" I ask.

"Here," he hands me the small backpack that was on his back and I frown slightly, opening it. Flashlights and other gear.

"Where are we?" I ask again. Max laughs and hands me a flashlight.

"We're on my property. It was bought for me by a friend," I nod and follow Max into the woods.

"Wow," I say when we come upon a cave. There are keep-out signs on it, but Max pushes them aside. When he sees my confusion, he replies,

"I put them there. My property, remember?" I shake my head and enter with him.

"What is this place?" I ask, looking around.

"This is a natural cave. Don't worry, it's safe. It was cleared by the government," I take a few nervous steps and Max reaches for my hand.

"Have you ever been in a cave before?" I shake my head and he smiles.