Chapter Forty

"Miss Rose, I've been trying to contact you for the past week," Professor Scott said as I walked in the lecture hall. Papers were due last week, and we would be getting new work soon, which was slightly exciting.

"I apologize, I was celebrating a wedding," I said. he sighed.

"Well, as you know from the beginning of the year, we will be doing a final project in this class. Well, of sorts. You will choose one paper to go to the editing company to be published. It's not just for this class, but for my others as well. I have picked yours,"

"Professor Scott, the semester isn't over yet, and we don't have many long papers yet. Plus, aren't I supposed to pick," I said, confused by his sudden attitude.

"Yeah, but I was meeting with the editor and he saw your paper, Read the first two sentenced. Loved it. If you can impress that old goon, you can get a job at that company and have free graduation from this college early. That's extreme thinking, but it's all possible,"

My mind was spinning. I got back from Max's house yesterday. After I accepted his offer, we danced at the wedding party until the bride and groom left, which was late. When we got back two days later, I looked around the dorm and felt extremely grateful for all the space, even though less than a month ago I thought the dorms were too small.

"I'm confused,"

"your Shakespeare paper might win you free college. Or early graduation. Or many better things,"

"But the paper wasn't that good,"

"It was excellent," he sat down and motioned for me to do the same as the rest of the students came in. I looked around. The class seemed too small to be right, even for this small class, when I realized seven people were missing.

"Alright, today we will be working on our final products. Pick a piece we did this semester so far and edit it, or if you want, create something new. Your product will be sent to an editing and publishing company where it will be reviewed. The top five will be getting prizes and a spot in my advanced class next semester. Understood?" Nods were given and Professor Scott rolled his sleeves up and graded papers from his other classes.

I sat at my desk in boredom. It was too weird. Everywhere I looked something drastic was happening. I took out my laptop and opened my book n Wattpad. Angry comments demanding updates surrounded my last chapter. But to be honest, I had no clue what to write.

"Rose?" I looked up to see Gabby. I smiled lightly and moved my bag so she could sit in the seat next to me.

"How are you?" I asked. She shrugged and fumbled with her pen. She wouldn't make direct eye contact either.

"Fine. You?" she replied, drawing circles on her paper.

"Gabby?"

"Yeah?"

"What's up?"

"Huh?"

"Don't do that. Come clean," she sighed.

"Were you here last week?" I shook my head.

"There was an incident,"

**************************

I ran out of the door to the office building.

"I need Jax Stanson's Room please," the secretary shook her head.

"He's on suspension. He won't be there,"

"Then where is he?"

"At home," I shook my head and ran back out, the November snow crunching under my feet, my backpack slapping against my back.