Chapter Fifty-Five

I woke up to Harlow's alarm. That meant I missed mine.

"Shit," I got up and looked at the time. I had half an hour to get to class.

Harlow laughed as I slipped on a pair of leggings and a large sweater- that was as soft as the blankets I was just in- and brushed my hair, not even bothering to put it up.

"Bye Rose!" she called as I crutched my way to class.

The cold was still killer. It bit my cheeks as I walked along the sidewalk. My one boot crunched the salt that laid on the sidewalk as the wind whipped my hair around. Regret flashed through my mind as I pushed the tangles from my face.

The writing building was warm and comforting, and I entered the classroom for advanced writing. It was smaller than the last but had more students. Along the lines of over forty. I was surprised, but I sat down in an empty seat as Professor Scott gave me a small smile.

"That's the last one. Alright, welcome to advanced writing second semester. We have two new students in this class. One is a transfer student, Rafe," he motioned to a small-framed kid. He was tall, and his hair swept over his face. He made eye contact with no one as everyone turned to him.

"And our student winner from my past writing class, and I believe the only freshman, Rose," everyone turned to me and I slipped on a small smile.

"Okay. Today, we are getting results back from the writing contest. Then we are getting started on Writing in verse, and how to do it correctly, to make our readers enticed enough to keep reading and not get bored or confused," he grabbed a stack of papers from the table near him and passed them out according to name. When he got to me I opened it up.

I stared at the small form in awe. Professor Scott stood there looking at my reaction.

"I told you they liked your paper. Explain it to the class when we announce numbers,"

"You announce numbers? Isn't that a little degrading to those who did poorly?" I asked. I knew there was only one winner to everything, but that seemed extreme. It was like sharing test scores.

"Yes. But you see, Rose, it helps readers build up confidence in their work. Not everyone will like your writing. At least one person will hate it or just dislike it. We as writers need to learn how to absorb their critical thought s and use them to our advantage," I nodded and looked at my score again. Professor Scott wen to move, but I sopped him one last time.

"How many people were in this contest?" I asked. He smiled again.

"Over fifty-thousand papers that were selected from the pre-rounds," this time when he moved, I let him.

I got fourth.

Fourth.

FOURTH!!!!

I held in my squeal and bit my lip with a smile. I scanned through the packet and found prizes.

Fifth and over will get a free paid college experience for four years, and the publication of the paper(s) that comes with publishing company sponsorship. For every copy of the paper sold in the collective book, the writer will gain a profit.

I put a hand to my head, trying to absorb all the information. It was too much at one time.

I didn't notice when Professor Scott started talking again. I just noticed when he looked my way.

"Rose? Would you like to stand and explain your paper and placement?" he asked.

"Actually, can I stay seated?.. my leg..." he nodded.