Chapter Twelve

"So, how is college treating you, Rose," Miss Morrison asked. I tugged my too-tight dress down I was limited with clothing options since I took all of my good clothes with me.

"Well, for now. The classes just seem too easy," I took a bite of steak and dabbed my mouth with my napkin.

"I'm not surprised. You've always been talented, Rose," Ethan said, smiling at me. I smiled shyly and looked back at my plate. Dad had been smiling all dinner, making me wish I left the two-hundred dollars.

"Thank you, Ethan. So tell me, have you found anyone you're interested in at work, yet," he shook his head.

"No, I have not. I guess they just don't meet my expectations. Not when I see you looking so nice," I tried so hard not to roll my eyes.

"Well, I apologize, but I'm not interested in anyone at the moment. I'm more focused on college," I grabbed the branch and saw where it would take me.

"Oh, well, if you ever-" he was cut off by the ringing of my phone. I glanced down and looked at the contact number. I had no clue who this was. Realizing this was a way out, I looked at the bodies sitting at the table.

"I'm sorry, I have to take this, it's important," I got up and set my napkin down on the table, walking out of the kitchen.

I walked outside and closed the door behind me, instantly chilled by the late-September air.

"Who is this?" I asked. A pause came before the answer.

"It's Max,"

"Max?" I furrowed my brow and sat on the porch.

"How did you get my number?" I asked.

"Harlow gave it to me,"

"I find it hard to believe she just gave it to you," I said, a slight smile forming on my lips.

"Actually she pretty much forced it in my hands," I chuckled and looked into the distance. It was getting darker, and the sun was fully set, thanks to Dad's ridiculous dinner times.

"Well, she must want something, then. Speaking of which, what do you want," there was a long pause, "Max?" he sighed.

"I don't know. I was bored and wanted to call someone. What are you doing?"I shrugged, but again realized for the second time today, they couldn't see me.

"Well, you called at the perfect time. I'm at a terrible dinner with my family. And the man my Father wants me to marry," Max let out a noise like a laugh.

"Well, I'm glad I called then," I focused on Max's accent. It was thicker.

"Have you been drinking?" I asked him. 

"A little. I'm not drunk though...yet," I laughed and pulled my feet closer to my chest.

"Are you enjoying the Camaro?" I picked at the black nail polish on my nails.

"Not yet. It needs to be picked up tomorrow and I have to sign up my insurance. Plus, it has to go into storage for now. I already have my bike registered as my campus vehicle,"

"I'm surprised they let you have it,"

"It was tight, believe me," I laughed and stood back up.

"Sadly, I have to go back inside to 'Death Dinner,' talk to you Monday?"

"Sure, Miel,"

"Miel?" I asked. Max laughed.

"You'll figure out what it means one day. Goodbye, Rose,"