Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Come on, Rose," I groaned and picked up my pace, pulling my dress down more. This Halloween was looking more like a nightmare than ever.

"Harlow, every step I take shows my spandex," I complain. She sighed and stopped.

"Listen, you look fine. Now Nash said he would be revealing his mystery girl today, and I want to meet her, comprede?" I groan and keep going.

Harlow gave me her lethal-looking black boots with no heel. She was taller than me, so they went to my knee. She said it made me look more badass, but that wasn't how I liked being seen. I didn't feel like myself.

"We're here," I stepped into the same observatory I stepped in a few weeks ago and showed my ticket.

This time, the whole observatory was decorated for Halloween. People in cliche costumes filled the room.

"Geez," I whispered. Last time I was here, I didn't get to stay longer and look at the real beauty of the room, but today, I just looked around.

Clove didn't want to be Marilyn Monroe anymore, so she didn't get her costume from me. She and Bain decided to be pirates together, and although I liked the Marilyn Monroe idea, I think they looked cute together.

Belle was the skimpy nurse she ordered, and I wasn't surprised. The thing with Belle, though, was she looked kind of sluttly, for lack of a better word, but she was still beautiful, and I think I was a bit jealous of her.

Harlow pulled me through the crowd for a while before I noticed her wide smile, and sure enough, a partly-shirtless Ethan stood before us in an Egyptian warrior costume.

"Hey, Harlow. Rose," I nodded at him and nudged Harlow gently.

"Have fun, lovebirds," Harlow blushed and I rolled my eyes, wandering around.

I spotted Nash as Batman with a woman Robin at his side. They were dancing together and I smiled.

Max was nowhere to be seen, but I didn't care at the moment. Yes, I wanted to see him badly, but when he was around, I just... changed. I didn't go to cabins with boys. I didn't ride motorcycles. But with him, it felt almost normal,

Like there was a different side of me trying to escape, or burst out from inside me, and it was scary. It was like I wasn't who I always thought I was.

I grabbed a glass of punch and watched as the couples went to the dancefloor. Even Ethan and Harlow were smiling at each other while gliding across the floor.

My phone buzzed and I looked down at it.

MAX: Outside the observatory, back steps. Bring a  coat.

I grabbed my coat immediately and made my way to the back door. When I got there, I saw Max sitting on the steps, watching the sky.

"It's the first snow, you know," he said. I looked around, and he was right.

"Yeah, I guess so," I sat down next to him and he put an arm around me.

"Sorry, again,"

"Yeah. Let's not talk right now,"

I watched as the light snow hit the ground and melted. Nothing was heavy enough to last.

Max's hand traveled from my shoulders to my waist, pulling me closer.

Soon, I was looking in his green eyes, almost getting lost. He pressed his forehead to mine and I could smell the mint on his breath. He reached around with his other hand and pushed a piece of hair behind my ear.

He pulled my face to him and we were kissing again. It sent a burning sensation down my throat, and through my veins. I reached my hands around his neck and pulled him closer, silently begging for more.