Chapter Twenty-Two

"No kissing at all?" Harlow asked, disbelief edging her voice. I shrug off my shirt and nod.

"None. I really didn't think of it until he dropped me off here. He was smiling like a fool," I shake my head playfully at the thought and throw on a long T-shirt.

"Well, that's quite disappointing. I, on the other hand, have really good news," I crawl into my covers and look at her smile.

"Well?" I aks. She squeals and sits up.

"Ethan finally texted me and said he'd go out on a date with me. I thanked him like a million times," I laugh at her excitement and turn off my light.

"Well, I hope that goes well for you," I nuzzle in the covers and plug my phone in.

"Mhmm. And by the way, the next date you go on, I expect jucier details," I shake my head and close my eyes, drifting to sleep on adorable memories.

*********

"Morning, Becky," I stroll into the coffee shop and pick up two donuts and a plain coffee, cream, and sugar.

"Morning, Rose. How have you been?" she asks. I smile.

"Pretty good. You?"

"Well, Finch took me to a  fancy surprise dinner for my Birthday," she said, handing me the bag of donuts and filling my cup.

"That sounds nice. I hope it was fun," she smiles.

"It really was. Anyway, have a nice day, Rose," I nod and walk into the cold. It was October Twenty-first, and the chill of winter was in the air. My fingerless gloves warmed my hands and I wrapped them around my coffee, sipping it slowly, trying to conserve its heat.

"Rose?" I turn to see Jax leaning against the agriculture building, a cigarette in hand. I sigh and keep walking.

"Ignoring me, are you?" I urn to him.

"What do you want?" I ask. He throws down his cigarette.

"It doesn't matter what I want. You are going to be the one paying the price," I frowned and furrowed my brow.

"What do you mean?" I ask. He shrugs apathetically.

"Well, I don't mean to be a sore loser or anything, but I was told certain secrets by a certain someone. I think their friends would love to hear them," I bite my lip and shake my head.

"Go ahead and tell them. I already did," I lied. He placed a hand on his hip and looked at me

"Liar,"

"Don't call me that,"

"Why?"

"Becuase I said so,"

"What are you going to do about it?" he asked.

"Get high? Get in a car with your friends and-"

"Shut up, you son of a bitch," I say through gritted teeth.

"What? You don't want anyone to know what you did? Why that accident was all your fault. I honestly don't know how you can walk through your house without feeling tremendous guilt hanging on your shoulders,"

"You won't get to me, Jax,"

"Watch me,"

he grabbed my hand and I dumped my coffee on his coat, Walking away as he cussed me out.

I got to the writing building but lost all appetite. I listened to professor Scott drone on and on and on about our projects, and we were expected to start our final drafts this week. At the end of class, Gabby, the girl I met the first week, came up to me.

"Hey, are you okay? You look pale," I smile.

"I'm fine, Gabby, but thank you for caring,' she nods and waves as she exits the building with her friends. I sigh and walk to auto.

"Sparkplug, you good?" asks Mickey as I enter. He had taken to calling me sparkplug the past few days, and I can't say I hated it.

"I'm fine, alright," I shrug off my coat and scarf, tugging my hair out of its ponytail, climbing onto my stool and looking out the window.

"Hey," I look up to see Max. Mickey is staring at me, and so are a few of the guys.

"What's wrong?" he asks, quietly. I shrug.

"Nothing. Why is everyone asking me that?"

"You're not smiling,"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"You always smile," James says, wiping his already greasy hands on a rag.

"We notice more than you think, Rose," Casey said, leaning on the wall near me."Is there anyone I need to beat up?" they ask. I can't help the laugh that escapes my throat.

"No, I'm fine guys. thanks," but this time, I sounded more convincing. Even to myself.

"Alright, then," they get back to work, but Max isn't convinced.

"Tell me what happened, Miel," he rubs my back and I sigh.

"I just ran into Jax again," he scowled.

"Why is he so obsessed with you?"

"He's upset I rejected him. He didn't, or really doesn't, take it well. Now, he's threatening to expose some secrets I wish to keep secret," I lean my head on Max, which I can tell surprises him, by he brings me closer and places his head on mine.

"well, he's officially a dick," I shake my head and Max pulls away.

"What did you do in retaliation?" I smiled and he tilted his head.

"I threw my hot coffee on one of his favorite shirts," he laughs and raises a hand for a high-five.

"That's my princess, Miel," I laugh and smack his hand. 

I get to work on the car but find myself smiling. This auto class was slowly becoming my family, and I was enjoying every minute of it.

**********

On the way out of auto, Max grabs my arm and offers to walk me back.

"Hey, is that your ex?" he asks, pointing to a figure leaning near the door of my dorm building. I sigh and nod.

"Yeah, that's Jax. He's going to be pissed.

"Do you want me to take care of him?" he asks. I shake my head.

"No, but there is one thing you can do that I like and will piss him off more," I wink at him and he pulls me closer, looking to the side to make sure Jax was watching. He was.

"Sounds good to me," he pulled me close and kissed me passionately. We stood there for a minute, kissing, hands on each other's backs, before pulling apart.

"Go give him Hell, Miel," I laugh and nod, walking to he dorm and entering the building, Jax slipping in behind me.

"What was that?"

"Nunya,"

"Wow, mature,"

"Same could be said of you," I cut him off by taking the elevator and rushing to my dorm. When I close the door, I slide down it and smile. 

I'd like to end every class like that.