Chapter Thirty-two

"What do you have in mind?" Max asked nervously tapping his foot.

I grabbed the bottle of tequila from the liquor cabinet and grab two shot glasses.

"The person who asks a question has to take a shot,"

"And that makes it better?" Max asked, frowning, at the liquid. I nodded.

"It helps with the snarky remarks and gives confidence. There's no way I'd get through this without it," a slight smile opened up Max's lips as I handed him the shot glass.

"And don't worry, I have a high tolerance to alcohol," I say, pouring mine and setting the bottle down.

"I'll take your word for it. Ask away," I thought for a little while but asked the main question.

"What the Hell were you doing in the alley today?" he sighed.

"Working. I got a job and got it done. Take your shot," I took it and poured another.

"Working for who and for what?"

"That's two," I rolled my eyes and took two shots.

"Well, I, along with Harlow, Jet, Nash, Bain, and Belle work for a protection company. Nothing illegal, the occasional fight. It's to keep things safe for our employer's company, which recently expanded here," I nod, pouring another shot.

"Territory?" I shot down another, feeling the agonizing but relaxing burn of the alcohol down my throat.

"His company rules part of the country. Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc. There are other companies that try to get in with him, and he says no. We protect against violence and riots. Get information. There are others too, just not in our friend group. Some I don't like in the slightest, but a job's a job,"

"One last question. Is this the same job you had that got you your land?" he shook his head.

"No. It was similar but the other one usually went to violence first, explanations second. This company is professional and works the other way around," I took my last shot and pushed the bottle away. 

"Ask some questions so I can have a break," he nodded and swirled his shot glass.

"Are you still a virgin?" I swallow and look t my hands temporarily.

"Yeah, I am,"

"Good," that wasn't the answer I expected.

"Good?" he nodded.

"Yeah. That would have meant your first time was with that idiot, Jax," I smiled to my self and Max took his shot.

"This is of good quality," he said, filling his next glass.

"Where are your parents?" I looked away and took in a breath.

"My father is on a business trip and my mother... my mother isn't with us anymore," 

An awkward silence fell upon us.

"I'm sorry," I shook my head.

"You're fine. Keep asking,"

"Did you know your friend, Addie was in the protection gang?" my eyes widened and I was shaken.

"What?!" I aks. He nods.

"I'd seen her around. I was surprised he didn't recognize me. She's not for me though. Too much like Belle," I swallowed and Max looked at me caringly.

"It's a lot, huh?" I nodded and grabbed the bottle, but before I could pour it, I head the front door unlock.

Shit, Max, you gotta go. The back door!" I whisper-yelled. He nodded tapped my phone, which was on the table, and made his way to the back door.