Chapter 5

Two days later at school, I walk down the hallways quickly. I had a plan to get to Freddy before Billy did, whether they walked to school together or not, I had to talk to him.

"Freddy!" I call as I reach his locker. He looks over at me with a groan. "We need to talk," I say.

"We don't NEED to talk, whatever though," he rolls his eyes as he says this.

"Actually, we do." He looked at me with confusion. "As best friends, it's a requirement," I say with an overdramatic smile.

"Jesus, do we have to right now though?" He asks, looking at me with desperation in his eyes that I will just let him leave.

"Yes, what's going on?" He scoffs as if I'm an idiot. "FREDDY! Why are you and Billy hanging out so much? It's not like he's Superman," I say with tears in my eyes.

"Y/n... Listen..." I let a tear slip from my eye and he grabs my arms.

"I don't want to listen!" I yell. He looks shocked and sad. "I want my best friend to tell me what happened to our friendship! You and I were like Batman and Blue Jay three days ago... What happened?"

"It's Robin... and... I don't know, Y/n," He says. "Something happened to Billy and now... I'm excited."

"What happened to him?" I ask.

"Fine! Well, he told me he was in another dimension place! He was there and this wizard told him to hold his staff and say-" I cut him off.

"Ew," I say. He sighs at my sex joke.

"Fine... Let me narrow it down... Billy..." He was hesitating to tell me what was going on.

"Freddy, you can tell me," I say hopefully.

"Just... Billy can do things no other kid can..." He says. He looks at me nervously.

"Can't you just tell me what it is, Fred?" I ask. I really wanted to know and then I'd leave him alone but all he did was hug me. He hobbled over on his stick and wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"Hey... Just... Please stay away from Billy?" I could see the care in his eyes when he pulled away. I felt awful. I had been making Freddy's life a living hell, at least I thought I was. It could've just been the teenage girl's mind talking.

"I-I won't..." I say. He sighs and looks at me with sadness all over his face. "Can I just have one more walk with him?" I ask.

He nods his head hesitantly. "I just don't want you hurt, keep that in mind." I smile sadly at him and he tries to grab my wrist but I walk away. I was too nervous to be near him, fear that I would make his life worse. "Y/n..." he says as I walk away, not daring to look back.

I hit someone with my shoulder and hear "Y/n?" before realizing it was Mary. I ignored her too though and left. I left the whole school. I walked all towards home tear-stained and I looked across the street to see that new Superhero standing there.

He ran over to me and asked "What's wrong? Why aren't you... At school?" as he looks between me and the school.

"Why aren't you at school?" I ask rudely. This guy dressed as a child would so I thought my remark was perfect.

"He told you?" He asks. I looked at him extremely confused.

"Who told me? I was just insulting you for how you dress, a kid would have to come up with something like that." He sighs in relief. I roll my eyes and keep walking.

He catches up and asks "Is something wrong?"

"Yeah, my friend is an asshole! He just told me he doesn't want me hurt. I want to know what his new brother big secret is and he told me to stay away from him. I don't want to stay away from him, he's nicer than I thought... I fucking hate this... I'm complaining to a man in spandex." He looked at his legs.

"Not spandex... But screw you. ALSO! Just tell your friend you want to know and he'll tell you." I look at him.

"How do you know?" I ask.

"On your walk tonight... Just ask him. "Hey, what's going on with you"?" He says. I could only wonder one thing. "How did he know about our walks?"

"How do you know about my walks?" I ask.

"I just... That's a superpower I got. I can... Know stuff?" I raise my eyebrow at him.

"You said that like a question," I say.

"No I didn't," he smiles at me nervously as I walk forward, closer to him.

"Fine, bye weirdo. What am I thinking now?" I ask as I back away. He looks paralyzed.

I giggle as he says "You really want to kiss your boyfriend right now."

"How do you know I have a boyfriend?" I ask.

"I already told you... I know... Stuff," he says. He couldn't look more stupid than right now.

"Right, bye dick head," I say walking away. I can tell Freddy I spoke to a superhero now. Haha.

Later at night, I was standing outside in the cold waiting for Billy to come out. I look up at the house and see Victor standing at the door, letting Billy out. I giggle and wave at him. "Hi, Y/n!" he yells.

Freddy follows Billy out and I smile but furrow my eyebrows confused. I look at Billy but he just shrugs. "If your leg starts to hurt come home with Billy, Freddy!" Rosa yells.

"Alright, mom! Bye!" He yells back.

"You decided to join?" I ask. He nods his head and groans.

"How long do you guys usually walk for?" Freddy asks.

"A few hours," Billy confirms.

We start walking and the whole walk was so much fun. All three of us were giggling the whole time, making jokes and dancing to songs we were singing.

We were on our way back and Freddy had made a joke about sex with an alien which caused Billy to let out a perfect laugh but I was distracted by the bald man across the street. He was staring so intensely at us which gave me chills. The only thing that had torn me away from the man was when Billy put his hand on my lower back and said: "Come on."

I slipped my arm around his waist tightly and walked close to him which caused him to place his arm around my shoulders. I could feel Billy looking at the man before I said: "Let's go."

"Who's that?" He whispers in my ear, still staring while walking with me.

"Not sure, he just gave me chills." I smile up at him nervously.

He kisses my temple and whispers "I gotcha, don't worry," in my ear.

I smile and Freddy yells "COME ON! BY THE TIME WE GET HOME IT WON'T EVEN BE OCCUPIED!" I giggle and we walk a bit quicker.

We reach their house and Freddy starts hobbling up the steps. I begin to walk away to go home, fear of what's to come when I get there overwhelming my system.

I feel the softness of Billy Batson's hand take my own, pulling me towards the corner of his house where nobody can see us. I giggle and he wraps his arms around my waist.

"What're you doing?" I ask. I cup his face and he leans down to kiss me. This time when he did it, I felt nothing but happiness. Not sure why though. I didn't know if it was because I loved him, maybe it was because I didn't feel guilty anymore, maybe because I was getting closer or even because I just had the best night of my life.

He deepens the kiss a bit more and whispers "You'll be alright," after pulling away a few centimetres.

"You should know Freddy told me to stay away from you," I say. I fix his hair and he chuckles.

"I know, don't worry... He can get over it though." I smile at his words.

"What're you saying? You still wanna be with me?" He smiles at my question.

"Well, yeah... Unless you don't want to be..." He looked worried.

I cup his face and whisper "I do," which causes him to smile.

"Good, I think I want to tell you what's going on," he says.

I smile in fear and nervousness of what he said, I knew whatever he said was about to come in hitting me like a truck. Which it did.