Chapter 8

I couldn't move. I was shocked. I was shocked with happiness but also fear. Billy sat next to me, his arm around my shoulders. He just continued to stare at me with worry curtained over his face. I had stayed another night because of the news.

"Billy? Are they-" I begin.

He holds me against him tightly and whispers an "ssh" in my left ear. To my right, I feel Freddy's hand gently placed onto my thigh. "They were arrested," Freddy states.

"You're safe now," Mary says as she sits on the desk chair in the corner of Freddy's room nervously. Nervous she would say the wrong thing. Pedro stands by the window with Eugene, both of them looking at me intensely, as if waiting for me to crack or something. Like an egg. Let out everything with just a small hit.

"They-They may have been monsters but... But they were still my family," I say with tears in my eyes. "I just wish I could've said goodbye to my mom, at least hug-" Billy kisses me quickly, his hand cupping my cheek gently.

I couldn't move. It was the same throughout the whole day. That entire day was me just sitting there... phased. At school, I sat in my classes, phased. Cafeteria, I was phased. 3rd and 4th, I was phased. Not a single movement or tear had changed my facial expression. A superhero had gone to my home and gotten my parents arrested.

After school, I walked with Mary and Pedro to the gas station, they were planning on purchasing me a Slurpee to distract myself from my parent's arrest.

"Listen, you have us now," Pedro said.

"Yeah! Even though you're not exactly living with us you still have us," Mary smiles at me as she fills her Slurpee cup. I just stared at the machine, the multicoloured machine I was pressed against when my father had first assaulted me.

I had tears stinging my extremely e/c eyes. Remembering how he had told me "It'll be alright," at the age of 12, only to learn my father only emitted lies. Dark, cold, lies.

Mary walked up to me and cupped my face. "Y/n? Are you alright?" I had kept in my emotions all day and this... Was the moments they were released.

I looked at her. My lip quivering. I didn't want to fall now, but I did. I couldn't hold in the yolk from my eggshell weak flesh. Waterfalls poured from my eyes as I thought of every time he had done something to me. I never beat him, except the day I met Billy Batson.

The tears poured down my cheeks as I finally dwelled on the fact that it was all over. It may have been over, but it was all coming back to memory. I had never wanted to die so bad than right then.

After my total breakdown, I was still wiping at the tear stains scattered along my s/c face. Mary had her arm around my shoulders tightly as we walked. Pedro sipped his Slurpee as he trailed a little further behind us.

I looked around in fear as I saw people running out of the mall as fast as the stampede in the lion king. My heart broke watching Billy Batson run out after. I started walking towards him but he just wrapped his arms around my waist tightly and said, "Baldy from the walk is bad!"

I was confused but he ushered us all home. I grab his hand and ask, "What's wrong with you?"

"The bald guy? From our walk? I um... I just saw him with that superhero guy... He's not a good guy. He has superpowers or some shit like that," he states kind of erratically.

He holds my hand tightly and walks a bit faster. I hold his hand tight so I don't lose his grip and move a bit quicker so I can step in front of him. "Billy..." I say, kind of sad.

He cups my cheek. "Hey, hey, it's alright. I'm just... Scared."

I stare into his eyes and whisper "I'm also scared... Of being without parents." He wraps his arms around my waist.

His lips come in contact with my neck gently and he whispers into the skin, "you're not without parents, their family will always protect you whether you believe them to or not."

"Your family," I correct him.

"No, not my family. I didn't come out of-" I hit his chest. I push him away and begin yelling.

"YOU WILL RESPECT THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE A FAMILY LIKE THIS OR I SWEAR ON MY LIFE I WILL FUCKING END YOU!" I yell. Tears burning my eyes thinking about how god damn lucky he is to have a family like this.

He wraps his arms around me tightly in fear and says "O-Okay. My family."

I walk away from him quickly and he catches up to take my hand, lacing our fingers together in a bundle.

We all sit in the living room, everyone but Freddy at least. I couldn't help but notice he wasn't here. Billy was upstairs being yelled at, being given the third degree in his room.

I was barely listening to the group around me as I remembered being here for dinner one time with my family. My dad had begun to move his hand creepily slow up my thigh as my mom knew it was happening yet just watched.

I remembered dinner last night. I remembered how Billy had laced his fingers with mine under the table, so gently. I remembered how last night I had laid in Billy's bed with him, falling asleep slowly as he fiddled with my shirt. His cheek pressed against the top of my head, lips right next to my forehead, humming.

Humming. Hummingbird. Being around Billy felt like a billion, gentle, hummingbird's were flying around my stomach. I loved Billy. Like a bird watcher loved... A hummingbird.

I looked up to see the Mary yell "BILLY IS THE SUPERHERO!"

I was completely shocked. Darla says "I didn't tell you guys! I'm a good sister. You found it out all on your own."

"The fuck?" I ask out as they all begin running up the stairs. I go to follow them but am stopped by Victor and Rosa.

"Can we show you something?" Rosa asks, a large smile on her face.

I am a little nervous but nod my head slowly. Victor wraps his arm around my shoulder and Rosa walks towards the spare room. "Ready?" Rosa asks.

I have a small grin on my face as I stutter out, "I-I mean sure... Um... Yeah. I guess."

Rosa opens the door and Victor walks me in. The walls were painted a dark but comfortable shade of blue, the hardwood on the floor was polished. There was a navy blue rug on the carpet underneath the bed. Bed. There was a queen sized bed against the wall. There was a large vanity in the corner of the room. The closet was filled with my clothing from my old house on hangers, the dresser filled with all other apparel. There were shelves in the closet covered with all of my stuff, shelved on the walls outside with my antiques and little treasures. From my home.

"W-What is this?" I ask. I felt stupid. I didn't want to make assumptions, because I really didn't want to sound stupid.

"This... IS YOUR NEW ROOM!" They both yell in unison. Smiles were spread across both their faces.

"M-My what?" I ask. Tears stinging my eyes from happiness.

"Welcome to the family kiddo!" Victor yells.

"F-Family?" I ask. They both nod their heads quickly and happily. I hug them both squealing in excitement.

"BILLY!" I hear the kids yelling and then he's out the door as I hear it shut.

"Shit," Rosa says and starts running out after him.

"Alright kiddo, just get comfy in here," Victor says before running out.

I smile while biting my lip in excitement. I sat in the living room for a minute when Darla opened the door saying "Freddy?" We all looked over and were shocked to see Baldy walk in front of Freddy. I stood up and shook in fear. He asks "Where's Billy Batson, hm?" after pushing Freddy to the side.