15) Hole in the Sky

A different type of alarm was blaring, one that none of us except Allura and Coran recognized.

"What's going on?" Keith asked.

"Yeah, these have never gone off before," Pidge said.

"Allura, what is it?" Lance asked.

"Looks like you guys just saw a ghost," Hunk said.

"That's just the thing. It's an old Altean distress code. One used by King Alfor's ships," Coran explained.

"Could it be? Are we not the last Alteans alive?" Allura questioned hopefully.

"Wait. What if someone's cloning the signal to try and lure us in?" Keith said.

"The signal is from an Altean ship, and we're going to find it"

We wormholed to where the signal was coming from and ended up finding a ship stuck in some sort of wormhole.

"That looks like a Tel-Galax exploration shuttle. One of my father's deep space vessels"

"According to the ships identification code, it's Commodore Trayling's ship. But I don't see any records of its destination or mission," Coran explained.

"What happened to it?" Lance asked.

"Is it stuck in a wormhole?" Hunk asked.

"That's unlike any wormhole I've ever seen," Coran said.

"It might go somewhere else that isn't in this universe," I suggested.

"There's a massive amount of energy emanating from it, centred right where the ship is stuck," Pidge said.

"We have to see if anyone is aboard. They may need our help," Allura said.

"We could send a probe over to it, see if we can get some kind of idea what this thing is?"

"Do it," Keith told her.

"The energy shows no signs of radioactive decay and it's not thermal"

"It's not gravitational, our probe is steady on course and the light is radiating out, not in, like it would in a black hole," Hunk added.

"But our from where?"

"That energy signature, I know it," Coran said. "It's radiating quintessence!"

Just as the probe was going to pass through it got disintegrated into nothing.

"Ooh! That's weird," Hunk said.

"Okay, well, let's not go anywhere near there," Lance said nervously.

"We must," Allura said.

"Hold on. Didn't you just see what happened?" Hunk asked.

"Yeah, with an ordinary probe. If you go in with something made up of the same material it should shield you," I explained.

Allura nodded. "Voltron's compositional strength far exceeds anything else in this universe. We received an Altean distress call, which must mean that someone is alive in the ship. As Paladins of Voltron, it is our duty to help"

"Princess, I still think there's a chance that this whole thing is a trap," Keith said.

"Even if it's not a trap, it's far too dangerous to go in there," Coran said.

"I'll do it myself if I have to," Allura said.

"Well I'm in, if none of the others are taking their Lions," I raise my hand a bit.