30) The Last Stand

"I'll see if I can get a message out to my dad," Pidge said. "Dad, it's me, Pidge. Do you copy? We're back in Earth's solar system, and heading home now"

"Wait, I'm picking up a signal," I said. "Pidge, do you see it?"

"Yeah"

"To any brings who receive this message..." Sam's voice said through layers of static.

"Dad, you're okay. How's Mom and Matt? Is he with you?"

"Planet Earth has been... most of the citizens..."

"Hold on, let me try to get a clear signal"

"...have been captured"

"What?" Pidge asked. "Who's captured? Dad, What are you saying?"

"It's a recording," I told her. "He can't hear you"

"Those of us remaining are making our last stand. If you get this message, please get word to Voltron. We need help"

Keith zoomed in on Earth on his screen, scanning it, and then we saw that there was a Galra fleet there.

"Guys, are you seeing this?" Keith asked.

"To any beings who receive this message... planet Earth has been overrun by the Galra," Sam continued.

"The Galra have invaded Earth," Lance said.

"Most of the citizens have been captured. Those of us remaining are making our last stand. If you get this message, please get word to Voltron. We need help"

"It's a distress signal," Hunk said.

"Dad," Pidge said. "Voltron is coming. Hold on"

"Are we too late?"

"Katie? Katie, is that you?" Sam asked.

"Dad, it's me. I'm here," Pidge said.

"Katie, I'm so glad to hear your voice. Where are you?"

"We're within the solar system. Heading to Earth now"

"Wait! You must stop!"

"What? Say again," Keith said.

"Stop," Sam told us. "Sendak has invaded the planet. He's taken over Earth"

I groaned. "That idiot. I thought he was dead, we hadn't heard of him in so long. Now he's managed to gain an entire fleet?"

"It's been three years, Aris"

"Right," I mumbled.

"If he finds out that Voltron is here, he'll threaten the people of Earth in exchange for the Lions"

"Reverse thrusters!" Keith ordered.

"Copy that. Hold tight!" Hunk said.

When we stopped we saw three fighters in front of us. They started shooting, but we avoided them.

"Paladins, we blocked the patrol's transmission. You're clear," Sam said.

"Roger that. Let's take 'em out!" Lance said.

We took out two and flew after the third, but Pidge told us not to destroy, that we might need it.

"Really? For what?"

"I've got an idea," she said. "We can't fly our Lions to Earth without being spotted, so they'll have to stay here on this moon in Saturn's rings, which should keep them hidden from Sendak's radars. We'll fly in another way"