32) Heart of the Lion

Shiro woke up from the surgery, looking disoriented at first. The Paladins and I all watched from the window, waiting to see if he'd be alright or not.

They were giving him a new arm, replacing the robotic one he had lost. This one was like Sendak's, it wasn't connected physically to his shoulder but it was still connected.

When they tried to turn it on it went crazy and Shiro's vitals started crashing. Allura ran in, removing the small crystal from her crown, and swapped her crystal with the power source.

The arm went back by Shiro's side and we all ran in to check and see if he was alright. He opened his eyes, looking at us.

"What-What happened? I feel strange. I feel great"

Now that Shiro was awake we all went to the situation room where Pidge and Allura were going to tell us what they found from Sendak's memories.

"We've learned so much from Sendak's memories," Pidge said. "We discovered his methods for taking over planets like Earth"

"Sendak constructs armaments at key strategic points around planets. This gives him the ability to control enormous swaths of territory. He uses the armament as deterrents to prevent any uprisings and to control the conquered population," Allura explains.

"Based on data from Commander Holt's micro satellites, cross referenced with resistance intel, we've ascertained that Sendak built six massive structures on Earth. We never knew what they were being used for until now," Veronica explained.

"They're the weapons?" Hunk asked. "So, what's stopping us from blowing them up?"

"We simply don't have enough firepower to do the job. And even if we did, there's a good chance those facilities contain civilians. We can't just go in blind," Admiral Sanda said.

"Admiral Sanda's right. That's why we should infiltrate a base and gather intelligence first," Shiro said.

"The nearest base is 52 klicks south of our position," Veronica said.

"What's the terrain like?"

"The region around what we'll call Base One is a complex urban environment. Our route will take us through highly patrolled areas. It'll be hard to keep proper surveillance of our surroundings due to all the structural damage"

"Then I suggest we form two teams. A ground unit that will attempt to infiltrate Base One and get eyes on whatever's inside, and a sniper team that observes from a higher position, covering the ground unit and providing some visibility"

"Use communications sparingly. Stay on the move. Keep an eye on the timing patterns of the patrol drones. Pidge, Keith, Allura, Aris, and Griffin, you're the ground unit. Hunk, Kinkade, Lance, and I will be sniper support"

"Before you all go I have something to say," Mum said, standing up. "You aren't going to like what I have to tell you, but I promise it's good news"

"What is it?" I asked.

"My husband is in Sendak's crew, and he's highly regarded in the eyes of the leader"

"Your husband's trying to kill us? How is that good news?" Lance asked.

"In my eyes Trey is a traitor," Iverson said.

"Trey-Troquion looks like a traitor, which is exactly the point. He works with the Blade of Marmora, he's been undercover since he left Earth. He was working, like, right underneath Zarkon. He joined Sendak's fleet when Zarkon was killed because he was seen as someone everyone wanted on their side. He was the one that overlooked a lot of Zarkon's projects involving new machinery and technology"