23) Razor's Edge

Keith took over as pilot again and flew us to the quantum abyss. It was a pretty sight, with the giant star in the middle standing out among all the other destroyed rubble that was floating around.

"I think we're here," Keith said.

"Bring us in. Stay alert," Krolia told him.

"Are you sure we should go in there?"

"Ranveig sent probes trying to track the quintessence. The probes picked up a path that was relatively unaffected by space time"

"Where does the path go?"

"We never found out. The probes were all destroyed"

"By what?"

"I'm not sure. Keep sharp"

I heard a snarling as the ship was attacked by these weird looking creatures.

"We got trouble!" Keith said.

"We need to shake them before they breach the hull!"

"Hang on"

Keith shook some of them loose, but one somehow came through the wall of the ship. Krolia shot it, killing it with one shot.

"Keith, what our status?"

"The ship's damaged. Thrusters are gone. I can't hold her! We're being pulled in! We need to ditch!"

We all flew out of the ship, getting out before we were pulled into the unknown. We landed on some of the larger pieces of rubble.

"What were those things?"

"I don't know, but they're gone now"

"So is our ship. It had the coordinates to guide us through the quantum abyss"

"We'll have to make do. Come on. As long as we stay within the borders of the space time drop offs, we should be safe," Krolia explained as we start moving from rock to rock.

"Basically, stay close so we won't be drawn in and stretched into nothingness like those creatures. Got it"

We stopped when there was a rumbling. The giant star lit up, went dark, and then shot off some sort of ray of light that came straight towards us. Krolia was quick to pull Keith and I together and shield us from whatever the light was.

First I was in an empty white space, not in my armour but instead in the clothes I normally wore when not fighting.

"Hello?" I asked.

A scene appeared before me. It was in a field. Mom was standing there and Zarkon was beside her. They were discussing things, but it didn't have anything to do with the empire. Like it didn't exist.

"Have you thought about what you want to do?" She asked him.

"I cannot give up being the Paladin of the Black Lion. The universe and my team need me"

"I'm not telling you to give it up completely, just to give you some time to spend with the one you love"

He smiled. "You certainly are the heart of Voltron, thinking of what's best for everyone"

"It's my job to worry about all of you, but I worry about you most. You're the leader after all"

I gasped when I returned to the real world, not expecting to see what I saw. I kept quiet about it, not knowing what to make of it.

"What was that? Were those visions real?" Keith asked Krolia, gasping.

"Time collapses this close to dark stars. Going through the light triggers glimpses of the past and the future," Krolia explained.