33) Trial by Fire

"Paladins, do you copy?" Shiro asked. "Keith? Anyone?"

There was only static on the other end as we watched the Lions slowly get pulled towards Sendak's fleet.

"Commander Holt, what weapons do we have available?"

"Fusion cannons, but that fleet is out of range," Sam told him.

"What about the MFEs?"

"The mission depleted their power. They're charging now"

"Shiro, even with the MFEs, Sendak has an entire fleet," Coran said.

"We need to get them back! We have to do something"

"The Atlas is all that's available," I said. "Even if it isn't working we'll get it up and running. Somehow"

"But we've had zero success launching it," Sam said.

"Veronica, monitor the fleet. Let us know of any changes," Shiro said.

"Yes, Sir"

"Come on, let's get that ship off the ground"

We hurried down to the Atlas, Coran, Mum, Sam, and I all trying to find a way to get it working.

"Anything?" Shiro asked.

"We can shut down all nonessential systems and use an external source to fire one engine," Coran said.

"We tried that. It wasn't enough power," Sam told him.

"What about crystals from the MFEs?"

"You think that will work?"

"Actually, no, scratch that. Far too small. You don't happen to have any Nunville do you?"

"I doubt he knows what that is," Mom said.

"Nunville?" Sam repeated.

Veronica told us that all the Zaiforge cannons were moving towards our location, they were going to attempt to break through the barrier.

"Even with all the power we've allocated to it the particle barrier will never hold against a Zaiforge Cannon," Shiro said.

"Wait, that's it! We can divert power from the shield generator to the Atlas," Coran said.

"The base would be unprotected, but it's possible," Sam said. "And it just might work"

"I don't know if it's going to be enough power, though," Mom said. "She might be too heavy"

"It's the only idea we have," I told her.

"How much time do we have before the Zaiforge cannons arrive?" Shiro asked.

"By our calculations, less than two hours," Veronica told us.

"We have to hurry"

"Veronica, transfer all data from mission control to the Atlas," Sam said.

"Yes, Sir!"

"Commander Iverson, get all personnel aboard this ship immediately"

"Yes, Sir!"

"Commander Shirogane, the MFEs are almost at a hundred percent," Griffin said.

"We need you airborne. We're shutting down the particle barrier, so we'll be exposed. That means you'll be our last line of defense"

"You can count on us"

"Aris, I want you to go with them. See if you can do anything to help"