29.5) The Journey Within

"Everyone... everyone sound off," Keith said.

After seeing those creatures disappear we all got back in our little huddle. I was now between Keith and Pidge. Everyone was more exhausted than ever.

"Allura here"

"Lance here"

"Pidge here"

"Aris"

"Hunk, sound off immediately!" Keith ordered.

"Keith, you don't have to-"

"It's okay, Allura. It's okay," Hunk said. "I was just kind of, you know, lost in this fantasy that we'd get to Earth and, you know, the Garrison would throw us a parade and all that stuff, and then, you know, maybe I'd meet some hotshot pilot who wanted to check out the Yellow Lion, and then maybe the Yellow Lion would take a shine to her, obviously, and then I'd be like 'whoa. Whoa. I can't stand in between you two. The bond is strong here'"

"Hunk, what are you talking about?" Lance asked.

"Fantasizing about quitting Voltron," Keith said.

"No, no, no, no, no, not quitting. No. Just, you know, being the bigger man. Just stepping aside to pass the baton down to a younger generation," Hunk said.

"Am I quite wrong or is Hunk still very young by Earth standards?" Allura asked.

"No, I think time is different for me, like I'm on dog years or something"

Keith let go of my hand, making our little circle a line, and he swung his bayard at the nothingness surrounding us. I swung myself back around and cling to Keith.

"My barayd won't work. We don't know where the Lions are. We're being attacked by things we can't even see," Keith rambled.

"Keith, what are you talking about? There's nothing out there. It's just us," Lance said.

We reformed our circle, I was asleep by now. My head rested on Keith's shoulder and Pidge's rested on mine. I woke up when I heard a beeping in Keith's helmet.

"Keith, shouldn't we sound off?" Lance asked.

"What's the point?"

"Lance here"

"Pidge here"

"Allura here"

"I am Hunk"

"Aris here. Keith? Come on, this may be worse than the quantum abyss but we'll get out of it just like we did then"

He sighs. "I'm here"

"I wonder how my dad and Matt are doing," Pidge said.

"Better than us, hopefully"

"My father had something he always said in dire situations," Allura said.

"Give up?" Keith guessed.

"Sorry?" Allura asked offendedly.

"It just doesn't seem like he was a real fighter when the chips were down"

"Keith, come on," Hunk said.

"You have a lot of nerve questioning someone's leadership seeing how you left us!" Allura snapped.

"Allura, please"

"As I recall, you were the one who got us all cozied up to Lotor," Keith said.

"Keith, you ran away. Maybe you should have just stayed away," Lance said.

"Guys, shut up!" I yelled. The circle was broken, we weren't holding on to each other anymore, except for Pidge and I, we kept our arms locked.

"Look, guys, I understand what's happening here. You're all brave heroes who don't know how to react to being scared and it's causing you to attack one another. That or you're all going space mad. Hopefully, you're just scared," Hunk said. "I'm scared all the time. I can talk you through it"