35) Launch Date

Some time had passed since we freed Earth, maybe a couple weeks, but it was already coming close to the time where we would leave again.

I went to the dining hall, seeing Lance sitting at the table, sadly stirring some drink around in a mug, and Hunk sitting across from him. I went over and sat beside Hunk.

"Yeah. We're rugged veterans now, going back into battle one last time," Hunk said.

"Mm, yup," Lance responded.

"Guess that makes us heroes or something? Like the type of heroes that would have their own TV show!" He laughed. "Did you watch it, Lance? Ah, it's so cool! It's so cool. They got you spot on, but Coran is like, he's all super serious and stuff. And Aris is good at everything she does except talking to the others, she gets really shy when anyone tries to talk with her. She can only talk with Pidge"

"Yeah, it's clearly not the perfect representation of me, although I do get along with Pidge fairly well in real life," I agreed.

"And Allura is a little... I don't know, she's different. Keith is friendly! He's happy all the time. I mean, they got it so wrong. Plus, I think they're hinting at some romance between him and Allura"

"What?!" Lance exclaimed, standing up. "Keith and Allura? No, it should be Lance and Allura!"

"Ooh, a love triangle. I like where you're taking this"

Lance sits back down. "No, no. It's not about that"

"Wait, that's right. You said you were gonna ask Allura on a date. You asked her, didn't you? Oh, and she said no," Hunk laughed almost in pain. "Oh. Oh man. Here I am rubbing your face in it"

"She didn't say no. I... well, I never asked her"

"You chickened out?"

"I was going to ask her, but she's been spending, like, every day in the med bay. Maybe-maybe this just isn't the right time"

"No, Lance. What? It's the only time. After tomorrow, we're back out in space fighting the Galra. There is no other time, literally. You're asking her today, and that is final young man"

"Good luck, Lance. I know she'll say yes," I told him.

We went to the situation room. Shiro was leading, going over everything that had to be spoken about.

"Everyone, welcome to our final briefing here on Earth. It's been several months since we began to rebuild, and tomorrow we launch and continue our liberation efforts across all planets still under Galra rule. Commander Holt, what's the latest from your team?"

"We've confirmed that there's still no Galra activity within several galaxies of the Milky Way. It appears Earth was Sendak's only target," Sam explained.

"Because this is where the Paladins of Voltron are from," I said.

"Where are we with Earth's defenses?"

"I've finished my check-in with all the Garrison facilities around the globe. All defenses are up and running. Earth has everything in place to keep itself safe," Keith said.

"Great. And Atlas preparations?"

"Repairs to the IGF-Atlas were completed early last week and it has since passed every test protocol we've put it through," Veronica said.

"Good. Any updates on the Altean pilot?"

"Still unresponsive. But she could wake any day now. Perhaps if we had a little more time, we could find out who sent her," Allura said.

"There's no way to know when or if she'll regain consciousness. We can't wait any longer. We need to get back out there and end this war before the Galra can reorganize," Keith said.