22) Bloodlines

"This base was, until recently, run by a Galra commander named Ranveig who was developing a super weapon of some sort. We're not sure of the weapon's specs, but we do know that it is incredibly powerful," Kolivan explained.

I was at the Blade of Marmora headquarters, standing outside the door of the control room, listening in on Kolivan and Keith, waiting to be called inside.

"How did we learn all this?" Keith asked.

"We have a spy in Ranveig's camp who's managed to acquire high-level security clearance. Since Ranveig's departure, it's possible she assumed control of the base, but we can't be sure"

"Why not?"

"We're not the only ones who know of the weapon. Two Galra factions, led by Commanders Trugg and Ladnok, are at are over the territory. Since their fighting began, all communication has been cut off. We need you to infiltrate the base, extract our spy, and destroy Ranveig's weapon. Keith, this is of the utmost importance. If either faction acquires this weapon, it could tip the balance of power in their favour. So you cannot allow your feelings to cloud your judgement"

"I wouldn't-"

"You have in the past. Remember, the mission is the only thing that matters. Emotions are a luxury we cannot afford. This is the operative you'll be contacting. Her name is Krolia"

I heard a little shuffle, probably Keith going to leave, but Kolivan stopped him. I took a deep breath, getting ready to go in.

"I brought in someone to help you with this mission," Kolivan said. "It doesn't aid much with you keeping your emotions under control,  but she will assure that the mission is seen to an end"

I walked into the room, my head hanging low. I wanted to avoid eye contact with Keith for as long as I could. We only saw each other the other day but I still didn't want to see him.

"Aris found nothing on her parents, so she's agreed to helping with this mission"

"I'm going back to searching when this is over. I just needed a break from everything," I told them.

Keith flew us to the base, stopping outside the atmosphere of the planet when we ran into two different fleets battling against each other.

"Looks like things have escalated between Ladnok and Trugg. Best to try to blend in with the debris. Don't wanna attract any fire. Here goes nothing," Keith said.

"It's not just fire we need to worry about, focus on the falling debris too"

Our ship spun around as we passed by, and we made it passed safely, but then one of the wings got broken off by some falling rubble. It took out our wing and Keith struggled to keep our ship under control as we got closer to the ground.

We made it to the base and snuck inside. Keith caught sight of Krolia, but by the way he hid himself after peeking around the corner it seemed like she caught sight of him as well.

He ran ahead, going to see what else he could see, but he pulled out his sword when a gun was aimed at his head. Krolia held a gun at him and his sword was against her neck. They remained like that for a couple seconds until I stepped out and stood by them.

"Krolia, we were sent by Kolivan," I said.

She put her gun away, and Keith put his sword back in its sheath. I looked down the halls, double checking that there weren't any Sentries or guards.

"You're late," she told him. "We don't have much time"

We followed her to an elevator that led down into a room where she went directly up to a computer.