36) The Prisonner's Dilemma

We gained control of a Galra base. I went into the control room with the other MFE pilots, containing the soldiers in the room. Then the Paladins and Shiro came in.

"This one says he's the leader," Griffin said.

"Whoa! Oh!" Hunk said, laughing a little. "Holy Kaltenecker! What are you doing here? It's me, Hunk. Remember? Paladin of the Yellow Lion? We worked together"

"I remember," the leader said.

"Wait, you know this guy?" Keith asked.

"Yeah, from the Omega Shield. Oh, thats right, you were on a space road trip with your mom and Aris. Keith, this is our friend Lieutenant Lahn," Hunk explained.

"It's Warlord Lahn now, and you and I are not friends," Lahn corrected.

"Oh. Okay, uh... I just thought we bonded by working together as a team to fix the Omega Shield and save your planet, you know? A Galra occupied planet, no less. We saved it. It's cool. No big deal"

"Sendak only attacked the Omega Shield after we pledged loyalty to Voltron. Then you disappeared and left us vulnerable to more attacks. I vowed to never let that happen again"

"It was not our intention to be gone for so long," Allura said. "But we're here now"

"To claim victory over us?"

"No!"

"We didn't come here to argue," Keith said.

"Warlord Lahn, we're asking you to join the Voltron Coalition," Shiro said. "To help provide stability to the universe"

"What's the alternative?" Lahn asks.

"If you want peace, if you want to end this war, there can be no alternative"

"You've attained victory, and I accept defeat"

"This war is starting to become more than just the Galra versus everyone else," I said. "There's a new enemy out there that we know nothing about, and they're strong"

"It doesn't have to be victory or death," Keith said. "I know it's the Galra way, but-"

"And what do you know of the Galra?" Lahn asked.

"My mother is Galran. She's a member of the Blade of Marmora. So am I"

"The mutinous Blades have all but perished. Are they so diminished in numbers that they're forced to enlist a half breed and his mommy?"

I pulled out my knife, placing it to Lahn's neck as I glared at him. "The Blade of Marmora may be all but numerous, but we continue to fight together"

"You must be the half breed mechanic that Sendak kidnapped from Earth"

"Half breeds are an important part in this operation, without him or me Voltron might not have been able to take down Zarkon or Lotor. Without us you're nothing but a lowly follower, following someone else's orders"

"Guys, incoming communication," Pidge told us.

I withdrew my blade, still glaring at Lahn as the communication came through.

"Yordam bering exus," a garbled voice said, repeating it a couple times before stopping.

"It's an emergency protocol built into the sentries when they're under distress. Has your Voltron Coalition attacked them as well?" Lahn asked.

"No, we didn't," Keith said.

"Pidge, see if you can reopen the hailing frequency," Shiro said.