Nineteen

He brought her a fluffy towel, turning his head away when he handed it to her. She stood, shivering. She looked down as she walked passed him.
He was scared of her when she was in that form. She saw it in his eyes. This is why she started taking the the "medication" in the first place.
But as she got older her body started to burn it out, and the dose stopped working. She began to grow scared of herself again. The same way she was when she was little. Derek said her name softly as she walked into the house.

She closed her eyes, hot water cascading down her face and body. The shower is where she thought the most. She missed her mom, images of her body on the ground flashed through her head. Her heart ached,  the day it did when her sister was killed. She quickly tried to shake off those thoughts. Would my mom be proud of what I've done? Anna lowered her head, tears streaming down her face. She missed her mom, her real dad, her sister and Ronny. She caused Derek all this trouble, just because she ran away. And for what? Because the feelings weren't mutual? Because he yelled at her? I feel like such a child. It doesn't matter if my feelings were hurt, I could've- should've handled it better. The thought clouded her head.

Laying down that night, her thoughts were racing. Staring at the ceiling her mind roamed, memories of her dad with her mom in the deepest part of her brain. Her cats jumped up and laid next to her. Anna smiled softly at them, petting them one at a time. Tears streamed down her face as she thought about her sister. She sometimes wondered if her father was alive. But she knew he wasn't. Anna stood up, walking to the window. she stripped down, crawling out the window. She crouched down letting her body change into its tiger form.

An hour or two went by. Anna was still upset, but walking in her tiger form made her feel a little better, so did the rain hitting her fur. She felt like she was meant to be this way forever. She felt as though this was her natural form, and her human form was just a cover up. She never wanted to turn back..but at the same time she hated what she was; what she could do.
Soon hours were going by one by one, and she knew she had to be home soon. She didn't wanna worry Derek. She began the journey home.

She turned back to her human form, jumping and grabbing the shingles of the roof. She slipped inside the open window, hair and body went from the rain. She dried off, then laid down, going to sleep.

It was 10:30am. Anna got dressed, brushed her teeth and jogged down the stairs. Derek leaned against the kitchen counter, a cup of coffee in his hand. He nodded his head at her in a greeting as she went to cabinet and got a granola bar. "Where did you go last night?" He asked. She froze for a second then rolled her eyes. "I went for a walk." Anna turned towards him. "As a human, or?.."
Derek set his coffee down, crossing his arms. "No." Anna replied, looking down at her food. "Now what if someone saw you? Killed you?" He said angrily. "Look Derek, I had a lot on my mind." She responded, crossing her arms. "Someone could've seen you." Anna smacked her hands on her thighs. "Look! I'm sorry alright. I stuck to the trails, I would've heard if someone was near me." Derek sighed "For your sake, I hope so." Anna got a drink, then walked up to her room, annoyed.

She sat on the small futon that laid under her window, looking out into the woods. She drank her juice as the wind carried itself into the small opening of the window. She used to hate going outside, but now that's all she wanted to do. She wished she could always be an animal, but she knew she couldn't. She stood, walking across the hall. She reached Derek's door, knocking. The door opened, and they made eye contact. Anna's heart raced, as it always did when she was around him. "I need to talk to you" Anna said softly. Derek tilted his head a bit, then nodded. She stepped into his room, pupils dilating slightly as his sent filled her nose. She sat on the edge of his bed.
Anna took a deep breath.
"I'm sorry for leaving the house, especially in my tiger form. I had, have a lot on my mind. Turning, and the outside are one of the few things that put me at peace." Derek nodded. "I understand." Anna looked up at him. "You do?"
"Running outside used to make me feel better. especially when I turned. But its a different type of feeling now that I can transform into a wolf..."
Anna tilted her head, and it was quiet for a few seconds.
"Don't go alone." Derek said. Anna nodded, standing and walking to the door. She gripped the doorknob. "Thank you." Anna said softly before walking out.