Chapter 30

OSCAR

I scribble a signature on the first page and Sasha is impressed.
I'm doing this intentionally.
I want her to lose focus so that I may attack her when she least expects it.
She's beyond herself with happiness, thinking that I've fallen into her trap.  I turn over the next page and it's a contract,  stating that all my properties go to her after we're married.
She thinks she's clever.

By now, I'm sure she's concentrating on the paper more than the pistol she's holding.

I look up and blow her a kiss which she mistakes as a love kiss.
She's in for a big surprise.
The two hooligans are still at the door,  minding their own businesses.

I sign the next page and I turn abruptly to hug her,  which catches her by surprise and she reciprocates.
I take that chance to hit the gun which is loosely hanging in her palm and it falls a safe distance from her.

She shouts at me as we both struggle to get it.
Luckily,  I'm fast enough and as I place  my fingers on the trigger,  the two hooligans who were almost stabbing back off immediately.

I throw them hateful glances as I command them to kneel down far away from me,  next to the door.

"You too woman!  Now! "

I command as Sasha freaks out.  I'm pointing the gun at each of them simultaneously.

I look at my family and they're lying still,  unaware if whatever is happening.
I just hope against hope that they're safe.

Luckily, I have my phone with me and I call the station as I dangerously point the pistol to the three intruder.

"I called for help hours ago.  What's happening?"

I ask,  anger rising each passing moment.

"I sent two cops a long time ago. Lemmie confirm where they are! "

"Tell them to try and get into the house. I have the intruders here with me. I'm sure they might have harmed the gateman...."

Three minutes later,  I hear cracking of glass and I'm assured of sudden help.
The hooligans look scared.
One of them attempts to play tricks on me by throwing his knife towards me.
I duck it and in the process,  they are all up trying to find their way out!

I'm still pointing the gun to them but I can't bring myself to shoot any.  I know the police are trying to break in and they'll have nowhere to hide.

But I won't let them run.  I shout at the top of the voice,  making sure the cops can hear me.

A minute later, they are sent back inside,  hands on their heads.

"Drop your weapon! "

One of them commands.

"But I was just defending myself.... It's their gun and I had to fight them to protect them... "

"I say... drop it! "

I obey and place it carefully near me then I rush towards my family.
They're lying still, oblivious of whatever is happening.

Suddenly,  a cop is upon me with blows as he fishes his cuffs to handcuff me.
I'm somehow shocked....
They don't believe me?

I sigh with relieve when I see my gateman behind them and he stops the silly cop from arresting me.

"He's my boss!"

He shamefully let's go of my hands and instead walks towards the three guys and proceeds to handcuff them.

Sasha chooses that moment to kick a cop on the groin which earns her a bullet on her stomach.
As she breathes her last,  she says:

"I'm not going back to jail.  I better die... I love you Oscar... "

With that,  she gives up life.

The cops call for back up and her corpse is ferried to the morgue as the two hooligans,  who haven't spoken since then are whisked away to the station.

Another ambulance is called and my wife and kid are taken to the hospital after the nurses confirm that their hearts are still beating.

I'm devastated as I walk up and down the corridors if St Ritah hospital.

There are nurses and doctors running up and down and no-one has taken time to tell me whatever is going on.
I decide to find out myself.
I follow one of them and I find myself in Kyle's room.
He looks peaceful as some nurses and a doctor administer some drugs into his system.

I can't help but blame myself for putting him in that condition.
However, I'm somehow happy because our nightmare is somehow over.
With Sasha out of the way,  life will be better.

I sit on one of the benches as o continue meditation about life in general.
However much I try to make Sandra happy,  I seem not to succeed.
I no longer know how to take care of her without hurting her.

I'm woken from my reverie by a nurse tapping my back.

"Sir,  your wife is in a stable condition and she wants to see you..."

I rise up and follow her after wiping a lone tear from my eyes.
I hug her immediately I see her and we all cry together in each others arms.

"Honey I'm sorry!"

I tell her,  trying to make the environment less tense.

"You're sorry for what honey?"

She looks at me,  concern written all over her face.

"For putting you in his condition. For not taking good care of you and for not protecting you from all dangers!"
I tell her,  trying without fail to gain my composure.

I no longer know how to be strong in her presence.

"Don't blame yourself unnecessarily darling.  You've been doing everything possible to make sure we're safe...."

She assures me as she wipes the tears from my eyes,  which are threatening to come out in torrents.
We're in each others arms when the nurse comes and calls me,  telling me there's an emergency and the doc wants to see me.

Sandra can't get out of the bed therefore I run after the nurse as she leads me to the doctor's office.

"Sir,  your son's body is short of blood and we need to do transfusion. He has thrown up slot and he needs difussion as soon as possible! "
He tries to explain to me.

"No problem doctor,  you can have as much blood from my body as you can! "

"It's okay Oscar.  I'll have to perform some tests so that we may ascertain if your blood groups match."
"If you insist doc.  He's my son and I'm sure he has my blood type."

"Let's get down to business... "