12. adrian

Grace. 

     ‘‘Dude,’’ said Jared, ‘‘watch the cars.’’

     I said, ‘’Oh,’’ and moved back onto the sidewalk as a line of cars passed us. The sun blazed on my neck. 

     Grace. 

     There was a biology test in my backpack with a B- on it because I had been distracted during the test. She’d sat two rows in front of me and one row to my left, and I couldn’t stop staring at her. Today her hair had been twisted in two braids hanging down her shoulders; she’d been wearing a pink Bench. hoody and jeans the color of the ocean. When she walked past me after getting the results of her test, I saw a bright red A+ on the corner. 

     Jared frowned at me. ‘‘Hey, you look like you’re totally stoned.’’ His hair was all over his face. 

     I said, ‘‘I’m fine,’’ and pushed past him. 

     Grace.

     In the Connollys’ front yard, Luke was shooting a hockey ball at an empty net. Mr. Connolly had a mug of coffee in his hand. Rosalie was dancing with her sock monkey  (whom she called Sock) and crooning a song about zebras. 

     ‘‘Hey, Rosie,’’ I said. ‘‘What’re you and Sock doing?’’

     She said, ‘‘Singing an’ dancing.’’ She took my hand and we spun around three times before she sat on the grass and giggled. Her sunshine-colored hair was done up in two small ponytails. 

     Jared and Luke were chasing the ball around, the clash of their hockey sticks echoing around the block. 

     About an hour later, my phone buzzed. I was sitting on my (Jared’s) bed and eating the slice of pepperoni that Mrs. Connolly had offered me as she was making the pizzas. I pulled out my phone: 

     How did you do on yor test?

     *your

     Of course. Grace made sure to never make spelling mistakes, and if she did, she corrected them.  

     Confidence.

     I got a b- and it’s ur fault. i couldn’t stop staring at you. 

     My phone was silent for a few minutes. I was starting to think I’d scared her. 

     Then:

     Jeez, A. I think I’m blushing.

     This girl. 

     Confidence. 

     I texted: you’re beautiful. 

     She only replied: Adrian.

     And I countered: i’m serious i’m not backing down. Grace, I love you. 

     Mrs. Connolly called us for dinner. I was left on a cliffhanger. I sped through my pizza without looking rude and quickly did my homework with Jared and I ran back to my bed and there was a single text waiting for me: 

     There’s this feeling I get whenever I’m talking to you and I don’t know what to call it.

     I replied: me too.