43. hannah

Teddy Baker found me after Erick had left with all the other kids he was hanging out with. I said, ‘’Hi, Teddy Baker,’’ and he said, ‘’Hi, Hannah Evans,’’ and I wondered how he knew my name, but then again, he was probably wondering the same thing. 

     Teddy said, ‘‘Can I have that dance now?’’ 

     I told him he could, and we danced. 

     Later, he said he wanted to grab a drink, and he asked if I wanted to come, and I did. When he lead us towards the bathrooms, though, I honestly wasn’t surprised, but I was a little disappointed. Couldn’t we just actually have a drink for once? Why did I never get to interact with boys a little before things got physical? 

     Teddy was well-muscled and also a bit shy, due to the fact that he didn’t want to take off his pants. I let him slide his hands over my thighs and, later, unzip my dress a bit. Teddy smelt like Axe. He got quite a few calls from outside the stall we were cornered in—stuff like ‘womanizer’, ‘manwhore’, and ‘pervert’—but in the end, it was me who ended up leaving first. I got a text from Lindsey:

     cmon slut we’re leaving

     I looked at Teddy. ‘’I have to go.’’

     ‘’Oh.’’ He looked extremely disappointed. ‘’Oh. Okay. Um, well don’t let me stop you.’’

     I got off his lap and pulled up my dress, and I left the bathrooms. Any second, I expected—I hoped?—that he would come running out, still gorgeously shirtless, and he would propose that we go on a date or something. My heart was pounding. 

     I thought of countless other guys that I’d encountered in my lifetime, guys like Quentin and Teddy. I thought of Erick. Why did the guy I really loved see nothing in me? Why did all the other random perverted guys just go for my body? I wished I could merge someone like Teddy with someone like Erick. I wished I could have just one guy to love me for my mental talents and my physical ones. 

     When I found Lindsey, I said, ‘’I hate guys.’’

      She looked up at me. Her eyes were red from crying, which I had never seen her do. I noticed Jared wasn’t with her. In fact, I hadn’t seen Jared at all lately. 

     ‘’Me, too,’’ she said.