29. adrian

The day Grace came over was the day Rosie got back from the hospital. 

     ‘’I didn’t even know,’’ I said to Jared as we got home. ‘‘When did she leave?’’ 

     ‘‘This morning. She threw up and then started having a seizure . . . it’s just part of the usual rep, really. Seizures aren’t as common, but after a couple hours in the goddamn torture place they call hospitals, she was okay.’’ 

     As if on cue, the front door open and Rosie’s smile burst through. She looked frail and wan—more than usual—but the sparkle in her eyes was undamaged. There was a pink hospital bracelet dangling from her wrist. 

     ‘‘Adrian,’’ she said, ‘‘want some chocolate?’’

     I knelt down and hugged her, gently, so that I wouldn’t break her. I said, ‘‘Chocolate? You must’ve been a good girl at the hospital if they gave you chocolate.’’

     ‘’I was.’’ She giggled and held out her left hand, the one with the bracelet. In it was a piece of Caramilk, dark and square. It was already melting in her palm, but I took it anyway. 

     Jared squeezed between us and into the house. He said, ‘‘Do I get chocolate, Rosie?’’

     ‘‘Nope,’’ said Rose, ‘‘all gone.’’

     Jared frowned. Then he tousled her hair and left.

     I said, ‘‘Thank you. Do you want to come for a walk with me later?’’

     ‘‘Yes, yes. Are we gonna meet Grace?’’ 

     Laughing just a bit, I touched her chin. She really was a smart kid. ‘‘Yep, we can meet Grace. We can go see the ducks at the pond.’’

     ‘‘And bring some bread for them?’’

     ‘’Of course. Those ducks must be hungry.’’

     Rosie gave me the best smile in the world and then went back inside, and I followed. Quickly, I did my homework and set the table and ate dinner and then I called Grace. 

     She picked up immediately. ‘‘Hey.’’

     ‘‘Hey. You still up for tonight?’’

     ‘‘Definitely. My dad’s coming down for groceries in a few minutes, so I’ll get a ride with him. Is Rose coming?’’

     ‘‘She’s more exited than either of us,’’ I replied. ‘‘Okay. See you soon.’’

     Grace said, ‘‘Love you.’’

     ‘’I love you, too.’’

     Six minutes later, I heard Jared answer the door and I rushed to him before he scared Grace away. Then I heard him say, ‘‘Math’s okay. It’s the only class where the teachers don’t screw around.’’

     Watching from the mirror’s reflection, I saw Grace gave him a tiny smile. ‘‘Yeah, Mr. Tedder’s pretty good.’’

     ‘‘You’re in my grade, right?’’

     ‘‘Yeah. French immersion. But you were in my kindergarten class, weren’t you? Until you punched Bradley Wolf and had to switch to English?’’

     Jared stared at her. ‘‘God,’’ he said, ‘’I didn’t think anyone remembered that.’’

     Grace shrugged, and I emerged. She said, ‘’Hi, A. Ready to go?’’