34. zack

At school, I found Jordyn hanging out with Hannah and Lindsey. Jared was there, too, and he looked at me like, Please come over here and be my only dude companion in this crowd of crazy girls. So I did. 

     ‘‘What’s up?’’ I asked him.

     He grimaced. ‘‘They’re talking about the dance. Dresses. Makeup. Dates. Oh my flippin’ God, Zack, where are you going to go buy your dress?’’

     ‘’In hell,’’ I replied. ‘‘You’re going with Lindsey?’’

     He nodded. ‘‘Yeah. Even if we weren’t a couple, I’d still wanna go with her.’’

     ‘‘You love her?’’ I said. 

     Lindsey turned immediately to face her boyfriend, like she had supersonic ears. She stared at him with a questioning expression that was somewhat amusing and somewhat serious. 

     Jared said, ‘‘Yes. Yes, I love her.’’

     ‘‘Awww,’’ Lindsey cooed. ‘’I love you, too. So. Fricking. Much.’’ She drew away from her conversation with Hannah and Jordyn, placed herself in Jared’s lap, and started kissing him like there was no tomorrow. As I watched nervously, Jordyn noticed me and sat down on my left. She twined her fingers with mine.

     ‘‘Hey,’’ she said, ‘‘you heard about the dance?’’

     I nodded. ‘‘Yeah.’’ 

     ‘‘Looks like it’s going to be fun.’’

     ‘‘Sure.’’ And then it hit me—don’t just sit there, dumbass, ask her! So I did. I said, ‘‘Hey, you wanna go with me?’’

     Jordyn looked at me sympathetically. ‘’Oh, Zack, I’d love to. But I’ve got this really sweet boyfriend, and my heart belongs to him.’’ And I sat there because I didn’t get it and I was kind of panicking but then she said, ‘‘Hey, you know I’m talking about you.’’

     I said, ‘‘Right.’’

     Jordyn said, ‘‘Okay,’’ and then she kissed me, soft and gentle, and I kissed her back. She’s talking about me. I’m her boyfriend. Who else would she be talking about? The panic subsided, but some of the worry was still there. 

     I pulled away. Squeezing her hand in mind, I said, ‘‘Hey. You okay?’’

     ‘‘I’m fine.’’ She gave me an easy smile and kissed me again. ‘‘How about you?’’

     I pecked her lips quickly again. I was feeling giddy with all this kissing. ‘‘I’m okay.’’ 

     Jordyn rested her head on my shoulder. She said, ‘‘Good. That’s all that matters.’’